Old Silver Certificate

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by DeputyDustin, Jul 27, 2015.

1. DeputyDustin

DeputyDustin New Member

I don't know anything about this field/hobby so I would appreciate any input. I got this thing probably five years ago and was told it would be worth quite a bit when I graduated high school. Was it a ruse?

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    swamp yankee and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chip

chip Novice collector

You have a black eagle one dollar silver certificate, if you could post larger scans I could tell what fr number or wether it is a mule or not and give you a ballpark figure for what it might go for today.

swamp yankee, NOS and Endeavor like this.
  4. DeputyDustin

DeputyDustin New Member

Thanks for your time!! Below is the best I could do with the equipment I have on hand.

I appreciate your help!

image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg

Endeavor likes this.
  5. chip

chip Novice collector

FR233, It looks to me to be about a Fine-12, retail would be about 130 dollars

Dean 295, swamp yankee, NOS and 2 others like this.
  6. DeputyDustin

DeputyDustin New Member

Thanks so much!

Endeavor likes this.
  7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

This thread was an interesting read. Nice note OP!

swamp yankee and DeputyDustin like this.
  8. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

I loved reading this. Nice Black Eagle you got there!

swamp yankee and DeputyDustin like this.
  9. DeputyDustin

DeputyDustin New Member

Haha. I am glad. I wasn't expecting positive feedback from a $130 piece of currency. I thought I'd get laughed out of here. :D

Oh, and thank you!

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Fr.233 Black Eagle $1 1899 Silver Certificate....appears to be washed and pressed. You should be able to buy these all day long for under $100.

DeputyDustin likes this.
  11. DeputyDustin

DeputyDustin New Member

Thanks for your input! When you say washed and pressed, are those "industry terms," so to speak? I assume given the age that it hasn't been through a clothes washer before. :)

I should add that I was curious about the value but I'm not at all going to be disappointed with any estimated values. I got it for free when I was 13 and all I cared about back then was playing video games. Lol.

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Love seeing the artistry involved in the old currency,THANKS for showing us!....

DeputyDustin likes this.
  13. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

how do you know? it just looks used to me.
    But what do I know, absolutely nothing about this kind of old money.

14. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

You have a good signature combination with this note, much better than the common Speelman and White combination that you typically see with these. You were given a quality graduation gift for sure.

DeputyDustin likes this.
  15. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Id say more than $100

DeputyDustin likes this.
  16. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

View these Black Eagles in similar condition and compare the portraits of Lincoln and Grant to the portraits on the OP's note, and the fading of the serial numbers. The "field" , or open surfaces on the OP's note is too bright and clean compared to these notes that have more of a brownish tint from age and handling. Prices range from the mid $50's to $80's and $90's. Just my opinion.

http://currency.ha.com/c/search-res...=56+790+231+1204&Ntt=Fr.233&ic4=Refine-071515

17. DeputyDustin

DeputyDustin New Member

You were right. :) Local coin dealer/numismatist offered me $35 for it in its condition and said he'd put it in his display case for $45. He also said that they are pretty stable and if I came back in a year it would probably be worth the same.

I'm happy. It was an interesting thing to have and to research and I got $35 out of it.

18. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

I would buy those for $45 every day. I'd be curious to see how much he really priced it for.

Hommer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted