Old paper money

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Coinhuntertotheheart, Aug 27, 2015.

1. So I love collecting my old coins I also collect old paper money when it comes around what I'm getting at is I've had this in my box for about 3 years now I wanna know how can you tell if it's real or a reprint of this bill both side are

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It should be hand signed and numbered, yours looks to be rather sketchily printed so it's a replica.

Coinhuntertotheheart likes this.
  4. Thanks for the input on this it's just been setting there with everything Elsa I have just thought it was cool.looking but it got the numbers on it and signed but I take it you know more on this then I do cause like I said I love the coins thanks my friend

5. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Ive own a few of these (not this particular design) and from the photos it doesn't look too good. The signatures are a problem and the paper seems too white to me.

6. I'm.not saying your wrong but the paper is a brown looking paper I don't know much on paper just was wondering I got a lot of old paper money don't know if it's real or not I'll post pics later on to get everybody's input on it thanks for looking

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If the paper is stiff and 'parchmenty' to feel, that is a sure sign of a copy made as a 'historical reproduction'

If the signatures and number are exactly the same colour as the printing, that is a sure sign of a repro. Old ink signatures go brown with age.

There is a web page somewhere with a list of common reproductions of early currency with the serial numbers, but really, there is not much point checking it.

8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

I'm sort of with the rest of those who have replied--looks a little "strange". That being said, if you have a local dealer that you trust have them take a look. If you belong to a local club maybe there are a few paper money collectors you could show them to and ask their opinion. For me, since I haven't physically examined them I can only offer a cursory opinion.

9. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The New York $10.00 note dated August 13, 1776 with an indecipherable serial number is on Crutchfield's list of known copies. The poor print quality of the note in the OP and this information leads me to conclude it is a reproduction.

Coinhuntertotheheart likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted