Old Paper Money Oil Painting by Ken Fuller

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Al Kowsky, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

30e1f0ecdcfefaf37d677c60d7d30cf6.jpg

Ken Fuller is an American artist presently working in Umatilla, FL. I own three of his paintings and this one is my favorite, 8 X 10 in., 1983. Ken paints in the tromp l'oeil style which means "fool the eye", and was influenced by other great American painters like William Harnett & John Haberle. He doesn't sell many original paintings anymore but copies can be ordered from his studio.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice painting.. They look so real.
    Not printed but painted currency.
    Thanks for sharing!

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice. Painting paper money. I like it.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Really like the layered look :)
    Now if they did one for MPC i would probably buy it...LOL

midas1 likes this.
  6. Mtheise

Mtheise New Member

Look at Otis Kaye. That is the master of painting currency in the trompe o'leil tradition. His puns and reference to events of his time are second to nobody, you will really enjoy his work. I studied art and also do trompe o'leil of American currency
    My name is Michael Theise, check the work out, you will enjoy it

PlanoSteve likes this.
  7. Al Kowsky

Michael Theise, Many thanks for your post & information. I'm not an art collector but developed an interest in tromp l'oeil painting in the early 1980s, before the computer age. In those days it was hard to find info on tromp l'oeil artists, & must admit I never heard of Otis Kaye or you. I did a Google search this morning on Otis Kaye & you & was delighted with what I saw :woot:! Otis Kaye is not only a master of this style, his life story & sense of humor was fascinating :cool:. Michael, I found your artwork equal to the best tromp l'oeil painting that I've seen, & would rank you as a true master along side of the other greats :rolleyes:. Congratulations on your accomplishments ;). I've been a life long collector of ancient coins & oddly see an affinity between tromp l'oeil painting & the celators of ancient coins. Unlike modern coin designers who make large plaster models that are mechanically reduced to engrave dies, the ancient celators engraved their dies by hand, & in many cases produced miniature artworks of incredible virtuosity & beauty. That same beauty & virtuosity along with the time consuming skill necessary to make a great artwork can be seen in the best tromp l'oeil painting. In the future I hope to see a post of your artwork on this blog. I'm sure CoinTalk members will be dazzled & befuddled by your fine paintings as I was :D. A.K.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Banded Benjamins (watercolor on paper, 22×30) by Lynn Pratt | Pawlet, Vermont

D8358098-2AA4-4883-B64B-8AFE8E16E247.jpeg

9. Al Kowsky

That's a wonderful painting ;)! I did a Google search on Lynn Pratt, & love her super realistic style of painting. Doing this style of painting using water colors is a real challenge too :D.

Draft saved Draft deleted