Old paper money bought at estate sale

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Joy Matherne, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Joy Matherne

Joy Matherne Pro life for coins...

I only had my husband go because it was my longtime n3xt door neighbor who needed the money

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Since you have 21 you did okay. Less than a buck a piece. The CSA $2.00 note is a heartbreaker.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The value of the silver dime (melt) is $1 and the quarter $2.50.
    The 1932 nickel $5- $10. And that's just some of the coins. You have other
    coins and the bills. The bills are a bit worn and circulated, ripped, etc. but there is value there too. I imagine you made a profit on this transaction.
    Def. didn't lose any. When the price is reasonable, as this was, you can't lose because of the enjoyment you get from the coins and notes besides their value.

5. Joy Matherne

My favorite is the confederate 2 dollar bill because he was family just adds to my history

6. Joy Matherne

Yes really damaged

7. EllenQ

EllenQ New Member

That is a really interesting looking coin! I'm still learning about the value of old coins and don't know a whole lot, but I honestly just really like the look of that one.

8. Joy Matherne

Which one

9. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

You got really lucky with the old 5 dollar and CSA note. I really like the look of the five dollar bill.

10. Joy Matherne

Thank you

11. Joy Matherne

Are they worth anything someone else said what a shame

12. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

They are worth what someone is willing to give you. Someone said it was a shame because the CSA note was in really bad shape. Although the five may be old there happens to have been a lot of notes of that type and in its current condition I don't think it would command too much of a premium if any. I think you did well becuase you paid less then a dollar a piece. Why do you ask Joy?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. Joy Matherne

Because I'm building a collection for my grandkids and was wondering if I can have them restored and if it will help to do so

14. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

No way to restore them. They are what they are and that is damaged bills. They are cool items but not worth more then a few bucks each.

15. Joy Matherne

Ok thank you

16. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

Hi Joy - missed this post when it first came up. A lot of people collect obsolete bank notes by town or state. The $5 note you have is from Erie, Pa in 1860. The "old" Haxby reference book listed this note for $10 in VG. Heritage auctions have had quite a few over the past 10 years and notes roughly in that condition have sold for over $20. So I'm sure you got more than your investment in these items.

Joy Matherne likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted