old movies showing coins or bills.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by banny, Dec 8, 2010.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

This isn't an old movie, but it takes place during the Cold War.

That silver dollar with a poison injection pin did exist, and the downed U2 pilot actually contemplated using it after imagining what the Soviets would do to him in prison. Nice pun to "spend the dollar" in the script excerpt below.

Also, at the beginning of the movie, you see a Jefferson nickel that gets split in half by the Soviet spy to reveal its secret, hidden message. That was also used in reality.

"Bridge of Spies"

upload_2016-2-21_14-44-23.png
    upload_2016-2-21_14-48-0.png
    upload_2016-2-21_14-46-43.png

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Since you brought up the Titanic movie, there is a scene near the end of the movie where they are throwing paper money around and it's small size bills like we have today and not the large size bills that were used in 1912.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There is a 1955 D doubled die cent as well. Not as well known, not as dramatic, but it does exist.

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Gotta love that movie. Especially as Kate Winslet especially in titanic is a dead ringer for my girlfriend especially when she was younger

6. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

This quarter has been traveling since 1958

7. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Just watched this over the weekend. Did several rewinds but could not figure out the coin with the suicide pin in it.

Did figure out the nickel clearly.

8. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Ha! I grew up after the change was made to clad. Although I started collecting at a tender young age, I've never dropped silver coin to hear the sound!

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I would have thought a Franklin but it really could be any dollar coin since the Peace dollar was in circulation then, too.

And, good movie, right?

10. Brett_in_Sacto

Good movie? Yes. Accurate depiction and historic accuracy? Uh, Hollywood's loose translation and political message came across loud and clear. :rolleyes:

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

An excellent movie as well! :)

12. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

13. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

The wishing well scene in Goonies -
    [​IMG]

iPen likes this.
  14. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

That's not how it went. Reeve goes back in time with just his mind - no coin. He's living in the past but it ends when he finds a modern cent in his pocket. I was on Mackinac Island when they where filming Somewhere In Time at the Grand Hotel there. I went to the theater to see a matinee of Superman. Halfway through the movie, the theater lost its sound. A young man in the audience stood up and recited, in sync, every line of every actor in the movie. He did this for fifteen or twenty minutes until the sound came back on then he sat down and watched the rest of the movie. When the lights came on after, we saw that it was Christopher Reeve!

15. Brett_in_Sacto

Happy Days - season 8 "Rosa Coletti" episode. Al carries a dime and Fonz asks about the "woman on the dime" which says it must be a Mercury dime.

Draft saved Draft deleted