old movies showing coins or bills.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by banny, Dec 8, 2010.

1. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

In Back to the Future II there is a scene where Doc pulls out his briefcase of old bills for each time period he might end up traveling to. I think there is a bison $10 in there but I can't recall as it is only shown for a couple seconds.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. banny

banny Junior Member

In keeping with this thread, TCM runs silent films on a fairly regular basis. I just watched "The Cheat", from 1915 and there is a scene about 10 mins in where a guy pays the maid her wages. He hands her some large note bills. I paused the image on my tivo and it sure looks like a black eagle silver certificate. Pretty cool.

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

There's an old twilight zone episode called 'The Fever' where a silver dollar slot machine is after a guy named Franklin lol it features lots of silver dollars. Off topic but it's one of my favorites because I happened to watch this episode with my five year daughter Kira and now whenever I imitate the slot machine and follow her around saying 'Franklin' she cracks up laughing.

5. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance

Rio Bravo

Wyatt Earp

Tombstone

Rio Lobo

Sons of Katy Elder

6. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

Granted, not old, but in the Resident Evil movies Alice loads her shotguns with US quarters. Pretty cool when the guns go off in slow motion.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  7. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Ahh man i know the name of this movie, it starred Matthew McConaughey and William H Macy. It took them through Africa and there was that Hot latin lady...i forget her name....Penelope Cruz maybe....what was the name of that movie.........

.....Sahara.....was that the one you meant? Now ive got to go watch it this evening

8. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Not a coin but coin related...

I remember seeing an episode of CSI where they busted a coin dealer with sulfur residue in his trunk and Grisom accuses him of artificially toning his coins. :)

9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

There are lots of films and television shows which feature coins.

I have put some on my website (below) under "Coins in Movies".

From 1934 to 1960, there was a United States Treasury regulation prohibiting displays of real money in films, and film companies usually used imitations instead.

On my website, I am limited to films which are on DVD so that I can get screen captures.

Also, my personal preferences in films play a part in what goes on the website.

One of my recent additions is the 1987 film "Throw Mamma from the Train", a comedy.
    Danny DeVito shows his "coin collection" to Billy Crystal.

The coins are ordinary US coins, but he saved them from places his father took him when he was a child.

Also I found a television Ozzie & Harriet episode from 1964 which showed a Whitman Lincoln Cent album.

Enjoy!

:)

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. pk_boomer

pk_boomer Junior Member

Haha that's awesome!

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A couple of coin scenes in "The Waltons" in one episode Grandpa sells Ike his "rare" 2c piece from 1864, in another an elderly lady who was from Scotland persuades John-Boy to drive her to the sea for one last visit - and before she croaks she gives him an 1878 $20 that a ship's captain gave her and her groom when they got married the day they arrived in America.

I recall a couple of "Little House on the Prairie" - one where the youngest girl loses her penny and has a dream that she wakes up lying on a huge 1864 IHC and another where Laura retrieves an 1870s dated SL dime from under a floor board with a piece of gum. In those episodes at least they showed something of a closeup of the coins.

12. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

How about Mr. 880... with Edmund Gwenn printing one dollar bills in his basement.

13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Saw Gangster Squad last night at the theater. Featured a stack of red seal $5 notes and a silver dollar. (Takes place in the late 30's to early 40's)

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Someone might have mentioned it, but Tombstone with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer has TONS of old coins and notes in it at the gambling tables. Period correct Morgan dollars, etc. Plus, the movie is awesome!

16. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

Mr. Wilson on Dennis The Menace was a coin collector.

17. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Just watched and episode of "Bones" with the infamous 1943 bronze penny.

18. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

"I'll be your huckleberry." Best. Scene. Ever.

19. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

All the Leprechaun movies show a pot
    of gold coins . Although he calls them
    shillings presumbly because it rymes with
    killing when one comes up missing.

"If I don't get me shilling, there's going to
    be some killing."

Probably be a bad idea to snipe him on a gold
    auction. :D

20. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

For some reason, I remember the 1990 movie Ghost when Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore find a 1898 Indian Head cent in a jar while renovating their apartment. Apparently, it wasn't a lucky penny for them.

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I haven't seen that episode in 40+ years. According to IMDb, Mr. Wilson pays $250.00 for a rare gold coin from a con artist that turns out to be a fake coin. The coin gives Mr. Wilson a free wish when Dennis throws the coin in the fountain in the park. Mr. Wilson wishes that Dennis would go on vacation for a week and his wish comes true when Dennis goes to his Grandpa's for a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted