Old Medal

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Feb 8, 2016.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I acquired this silver old medal, realizing that it can't be ancient with such a condition. But I knew it could possibly represent ancient symbols or a story related to the past times of Christianity. Please post your comments. Med O 001.jpg Meda R 001.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

You would probably get better results in the World or Coin Chat sections. Sorry, got nothing for you on this one.

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It appears to be second half of the 19th C and says 'Christian Marriage' in Latin. I suspect the back would be engraved with the name of the couple and that this one was obviously never used.

stevex6 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The Forrer reference books list the father and son, Raymond and Paul Gayrard, and I suspect that your medal might be attributable to the father. Raymond Gayrard was born at Rodez (Aveyron) on October 25, 1777 and died in Paris on May 4, 1858. He is credited with the design of about 211 medals, some of which were award medals. I think your medal is one of those unnamed award medals that was never used because of the uninscribed reverse.

You said that it is silver. Is it marked on the edge as such? Are there any other markings on the edge?

Chris

By the way, the "F" following his name stands for the Latin word "fecit" which means "he made it".

Stevearino likes this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Gayrard F. probably means Garard fils. (Son of Gayrard or Gayrard Jr.) Fecit is usually abbreviated to Ft or Fc.
    Since there is the son available, I'd say that either interpretation is possible, but I do not recall medal designers having anything but their names or initials on the exurge.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for this sincere and useful intervention.
    Chris.. Yes there's a clear mark on the edge : Argent
    That would translate "silver" in French.
    The medal weighs 16.4 g.

9. cpm9ball

I disagree! Every reference book I've read about French medals states that it is the abbreviation for fecit. I have many French medals of the 19th and early 20th century that use this abbreviation, and the artists have no children following in their footsteps.

Chris

10. cpm9ball

So, there is no "different" (mintmark) stamped next to ARGENT. Correct? This tells me that it was probably produced sometime after 1789 but before 1841. The Paris Mint reduced the silver content in their medals from 95% to 80% at the end of the French Revolution in 1789, and didn't start using a "different" until 1841.

Chris

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted