Old man needs some advice. As always. LOL.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GUNNER63736, Nov 23, 2017.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Hi guys and gals. Hope this is the correct section to put this in. Hope everyone is having a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving. Anyway, being limited on the amount of money I spend on my collection, I would love to have at least one gold coin. I am leaning towards a 1/10th ounce American Eagle. The wife even wants me to get one. HOORAY. LOL. Are there any better choices? As far as value, is it better to get a certified coin or just the uncirculated? Thanks again for your help. Mike in Missouri.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

If it were me I'd be looking at older (before 1933) gold coins.
    And if you want just one look at half eagles ($5 face).
    Plenty of inexpensive ones (but more than a modern 1/10th oz).

4. GUNNER63736

Thank you Kanga.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think it’s totally budget dependent. I’d prefer pre-33 good as well but if budget is tight s 1/10oz is a good choice. Mexico also makes a 1/20oz.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The first gold coin I ever bought (still have it) was/is an $10 Liberty back in the early '70's. Pre-33 gold is lovely, but (as Richie pointed out above) sometimes budget constraints won't allow for purchase. Fractionals do allow almost everyone to have a piece of gold, but be warned.......you may be unsatisfied with anything below one ounce. The pieces themselves are small and thin.

Kasia likes this.
  7. CamaroDMD

Something to also consider is modern commemorative gold. They are a little bigger, have very interesting designs and most can be had for right around spot. They are typically just under 1/4oz so they are a bit more expensive...but they are another option. I have a 1999-W Washington Proof gold that I paid melt for and I love it.

Kasia likes this.
  8. green18

Great point.........the weight (metal) is classic and the same as the classic/pre-33 coins.

9. GUNNER63736

I have never seen a 1/10th ounce gold up close. Are they about the size of a regular dime?

10. green18

Indeed. :)

11. CamaroDMD

Yes. They are pretty small. So small that you don’t get a really good look at the details in my opinion. I have one. If I have time I will take a photo and post it with a dime next to it. I think it’s slightly smaller.

12. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would buy something classic.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

For the modern ones the graded 69s generally sell at about the same price the raw ones do and might be a touch easier to sell. If you go with classic gold I would definitely go graded, the common date common grades won't have much of a premium and the authentication with the classics really helps.

15. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Id consider an AU type 1 or type 3 gold dollar. Can grab a certified one for not much more than a 1/10 ounce and can have a piece with 150 years history at the same time

16. James S

James S Low Mintage

I hope you get you a piece that you and your wife enjoy.

James S

17. CamaroDMD

I hope this photo will help with the question about size mentioned earlier. This is a crude photo I took really quick...but it shows a 1/10oz AGE on the left compared to a dime and on the right a modern $5 gold commemorative compared to a quarter.

[​IMG]

asheland and baseball21 like this.
  18. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Provident has $2.50 peso Mexican gold @ $83.04

asheland and wgpjr like this.
  19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If I was in your shoes with the same desire, I would check to see what the dealers here on cointalk have to offer in their advertisements. Here is the directory listings
    https://www.cointalk.com/directory/

dwhiz likes this.
  20. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Why are you recommending that to him? They are no where near the price of a tenth ounce Gold Eagle (about $190-$200+ as compared to $140ish for a 1/10 AGE. Plus, they contain less than 1/20th of an ounce of gold.

21. CamaroDMD

I totally agree. You will pay more for half the gold. They are beautiful and historic though. It depends what you want. Are you looking for more gold or more history?

Draft saved Draft deleted