Old Lincoln Wheat Penny US Mint Coin Die

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gbredneck, May 2, 2012.

1. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

No, I don't know when my dies were made (but it's not really significant for my purpose).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

Did you have your 9 planchet deep die cap on display this spring at Long beach? If so, my daughter and I briefly talked to you about it :).

4. The Penny Lady®

Yes I did, I usually bring it to the shows I can drive to and Long Beach is one of them!

5. The Penny Lady®

I asked Fred Weinberg if there was any way to determine the date of a die from the serial number and he said that, for example, D3 in the serial number means Denver, 1993.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

How would you know it means 1993 and not 13, 23, 33, 43, 53, 63, 73, 83, or 03? I know there have been different shank styles to the dies over the years but I have no idea what style was used when.

7. The Penny Lady®

Conder, I don't personally know. As I said, this is what Fred Weinberg told me when I asked him. Perhaps you could email him, as I did, and ask him yourself.

8. ultralight

ultralight Member

I know it is a little late to reply to this thread, but the thread just seems incomplete.

The die that the op is talking about is not a wheat cent die. It is, as stated earlier, a 1993 cent die. The D3 is, as already stated earlier, a 1993 die. I believe Fred Weinberg bought thousands of these from the Denver Mint a while back and has sold many thousands of them. There have not been any other significant releases, besides the 1998 dies which would show a D8, that have this die style, type of cancelation, and serial number.

The older 1968 dies, used to strike proof and business strikes, originate from the San Francisco mint. The business strike dies look similar to the dies that the op mentions but have a few differences in the style of the dies and the serial numbers and include a puddled cancelation. The proof dies are much larger. These proof dies look similar to the statehood quarter dies that were released from the mint from 1998 to 2008.

Draft saved Draft deleted