Old large cent newcomb varieties?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Sep 28, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

Hello all,

I'm starting to dabble a bit with the older large cents such as the braided and coronets. I see the N varieties for newcomb I believe. How can one tell the variety or type I have? I tried doing a little googling and either I comepletly sick or I just couldn’t find much helpful info, thank you in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

well, I can't but some here can.

However, they will need very clear pictures of the obv & rev.

And not in a 2X2 plastic holder

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

As I'm finding out with my Braided Hair Large Cents some Newcomb varieties are very difficult to impossible to identify in grades lower than AU.
    Many of the PUP's are gone by the time a coin wears down to XF.
    I guess you need the EAC experts' help in many cases.

5. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

and some of the years have 40+ varieties!! Grellman's book helps a lot but it takes practice to use it.

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Pictures would complete the story.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You really need the reference books, and the patience to get through the learning curve. (and the books aren't cheap, and in some cases not readily available) The middle date cents 1816 - 34 aren't that hard to do, the 35 - 39 are tougher. The late dates, 1840 -1857, can usually be narrowed down to a few possibilities fairly easily by the date positions, but as Kanga says the pick up points that narrow it down to a single variety can often be very difficult to impossible to see on coins less than XF

8. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

EdsCoin and jerryc39 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted