Old coins on Craigslist

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by longarm, Feb 11, 2016.

1. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Check out these "old coins" on Craigslist. I tried to contact them for more pics silver.jpg gold.jpg

but haven't heard back yet.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They both look fake to me.

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012 and mac266 like this.
  4. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking also, I'm waiting to see if they send more pics and kinda curious as to what they want for them.

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Markus1959

This is probably why he doesn't show you the reverse of the coins

[​IMG]

tommyc03 and mac266 like this.
  7. Markus1959

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Miss Anna certainly has her jaw set for something, doesn't she? :)

JPeace$ likes this.
  9. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Best you can hope from a replica coin is .999 fine silver, a proof cameo, a price near spot... and a little fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Is the seller trying to get genuine article money from them? Both are clearly copies, and easily identified as such.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

They're obviously not the real deal, but until/unless you hear back from this individual and can get a feel for their spiel, it cannot be factually said that they're up to no good. Even if nine out of ten times crap like this is really a baited hook, every now and then the person offering them simply has no understanding of what they have, or in some cases, had it questionably peddled to them.

The key with anything, but is particularly true for one considering Craigslist, is knowledge. One doesn't need to be the second coming of Einstein to figure out that there are good numbers of people scrounging it for the almighty "deal" wearing targets on their foreheads. If one doesn't know what they're doing, and can be honest enough with themselves to admit it, Craigslist should simply be avoided.

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The "American Mint" ( No relationship to any U.S. Gov. entity.) in Pa. sells tons of these, silver plated and gold plated but they do have "Copy" on them somewhere. They list originally for $79.95 each usually and then you get flyers in the mail offering them for $4.95 + S/H.

13. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Fake fake and fake

14. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

The word "fake" appears to be arcane in numismatics today. I think the preferred terminology now is a "fantasy" coin. j/k

Draft saved Draft deleted