Old coin letters

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 30, 2016.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Elsewhere here we have a thread on two letters from 1940's coin dealers. That drove me to do the images and transcriptions below.
    John Yonge Akerman was a numismatist of the 19th century and published a two volume book on rare Roman coins in 1834 which I bought years ago but I believe is now available free online ( https://archive.org/details/adescriptivecat00akergoog ).
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Akerman,_John_Yonge_(DNB00)

My books were rebound with a personal letter from Akerman to the owner dated 1848 inside each front cover. The first is three short pages and the second just one. Akerman did not put a lot of effort into these replies but I find interesting what he considered worthy of comment and what he did not. Below the images here are transcripts (correct me if you think I erred) and a few notes on what I found interesting. Clicking on image should enlarge for easier reading (depending on your browser).
    0akerman1.jpg 0akerman2.jpg 0akerman3.jpg 0akerman4.jpg
    Transscript:
    Dear Sir;

The coins of Tetricus with laureated head are certainly uncommon. If you should have any friend coming to town I should be glad to see your coin;- but I wd not on any account advise your sending it by the post.

The “fides legionum” of Albinus is a common type. Many of his denarii were found in france about 14 years ago & most of them were this type & legend.
    (1) Yours, I suppose, like the rest, is of same execution

---------

very inferior to those which bear the title of Caesar only.
    (2)

I am, Dear Sir,

Yours faithfully

J. Y. Akerman

Society of Antiquaries' Apartments

Somersetplace 19. June 1848.

---------

You have doubtless heard of my appointment as Secretary of the Society of Antiquaries. If you could at any time favor me with a communication on the subject of any of our national antiquities, for a reading at our ordinary meetings, - or induce yr friends to do so, you would be advancing the cause & render me much service.
    (3)

_________

_________

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the sight of the Tetricus which I now return. It is a curious coin, and, I believe, unpublished. From the circumstance of his appearing always with laureated head on his gold coins, we may suppose that this die was originally intended for an aureus. I need not remark that the style of work, as well as the flan of metal, differ from those of his small brass money.
    (4) It wd be interesting to Englishmen to know what part this usurper played in the province of Britain. I am, Yrs Faithfully,

J. Y. Akerman

Somersetplace, 23 June 1948

Comments:

1. This type is now considered scarce and very rare in its two varieties but Akerman considered them common based on a huge find the year he published his book which explains them being in it. His intent was to list only rare types. The coins are rare to me now but common in the high end market with all in great condition and probably from the mentioned hoard??? I wonder if a worn one exists.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...s=1&currency=usd&thesaurus=1&order=0&company=

2. Note the disdain for the Albinus as Augustus coins for their style. I like them. I only have one but it is a different reverse.

3. I had a little trouble with the final 8 in 1848 on both letters but that was the year that Akerman became secretary so it is what it is.

4. He fails to make clear if the 'different' style is right for gold making this a test piece or if it is perhaps a plated coin missing its surface metal. Either seems possible. He failed to mention the reverse type so I can't follow that lead. RIC has nine AE denarii for Tetricus (and 44 aurei). It would be interesting to know if this coin ended up being published.

Many times I considered selling my books (they are pretty with nice drawings but not terribly useful). I know the letters saved them more than once. I wonder if the same sale had my volumes and a matching one lacking letters, which would sell.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are pretty neat, Doug. Probably more interesting and valuable then the old book.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I can't speak to the accuracy of your translation, but thanks for posting! It is very interesting to see what was viewed as important then compared to now.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

In a hundred and fifty years will transcripts of Coin Talk be interesting to hobbyists? I have coin letters from experts from the last century but have no idea what will happen to them when I'm gone.

Theodosius and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing @dougsmit, I enjoy old documents and books, and the stories they can tell.

KIWITI likes this.
  8. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

They surely upgrade your books.

Would you like to be "read" (as intimate as a letter gets) in 150 years? Or just remembered for your excellent photographs?

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Among the other things I have collected are old letters. Civil War and before personal letters can be really interesting. I suppose it stops being as much an invasion of privacy when the people and their grandchildren are all gone. Most interesting is a letter from a missionary in China from the 1840's who never plans to return an see her family again. China was a long way then.

KIWITI and 7Calbrey like this.
  10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

@DS. Coins and letters are not so important as your good self.

11. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

i wish i could write link that hand ..

7Calbrey likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very, very cool ... that's great stuff

:rolleyes:

13. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Scan them to digital historical record. (We do represent the earlier period of internet coin collecting information.)

KIWITI likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted