Old Check Collectors Share Your Checks!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Stripeythecrab, Mar 19, 2013.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Here,s my contribution

[​IMG]

techwriter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Back in the 1950s when we lived in Ridgecrest, CA and my dad worked at China Lake Naval Air Station, we spent a lot of time exploring parts of the desert. One of the places we went to was Randsburg ghost town, which back then was not a "tourist" attraction as it is now. It was totally deserted. I vaguely remember going into a building that had an open safe and us saving the documents that were in that safe, which wasn't much. But here are a few checks we found along with some other documents for J.D. Voss, who was apparently mining areas around there. I have not been able to find much about him online and I wonder if he really ever did have viable mines in the Kern County area.
    RANDSBURG 1.jpg RANDSBURG 2.jpg RANDSBURG 3.jpg RANDSBURG 4.jpg RANDSBURG.jpg RANDSBURG 5.jpg RANDSBURG 6.jpg RANDSBURG 7.jpg RANDSBURG 8.jpg RANDSBURG 9.jpg

4. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

The last of the documents, including the front page of an old almanac.
    RANDSBURG 10.jpg RANDSBURG 11.jpg RANDSBURG 12.jpg RANDSBURG 14.jpg RANDSBURG 13.jpg

techwriter and mpcusa like this.
  5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That is some is some awesome stuff !! :)

6. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

This nice little check arrived today; gotta love the repeating number :)
    chk_DaytonSpiceMills_face.jpg
    ==
    The Dayton Spice Mills Company

Corner of First and Foundry Streets

Among the best known concerns in Ohio, devoted to the manufacture of pure and unadulterated spices, baking powder, etc., is the Dayton Spice Mills Company, whose goods are noted from Ohio to the Missouri river and beyond for their absolute puiry, freshness and low prices, and customers have the satisfaction of knowing that nothing inferior or adulterated will be foisted upon them by this house. This has been the principle upon which the business has been conducted from its inception, and the management has never deviated from this path.

The Dayton Spice Mills Company was established in 1885 and the premises they occupy are comprised in a three-story brick building, 34 x 196 feet in dimensions. The equipment of the establishment includes roasters and grinding machinery of the most modern mechanical construction which are operated by a 75 horse power engine. As the company are content with a reasonable profit, customers may depend that they can not obtain goods of equal value at lower prices anywhere. The specialties of the house are Jersey Coffee, Jersey Baking Powder, a pure, wholesome and unquestionably valuable article, and Jersey Spices, warranted strictly are represented, and the business of the house is entirely wholesale.

We may with justice urge all prudent dealers, who desire to put before their customers pure and reliable goods- goods of the classes mentioned and at prices as low as oft-times are exacted for inferior goods- to entrust their favors to this house, as every article is of a character in keeping with the reputation of this well known and highly esteemed establishment.
    ==
    history link for your enjoyment: http://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/page/page/1651459.htm

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

My earliest MPC Check:

[​IMG]

My latest MPC Check:

[​IMG]

gsalexan and techwriter like this.
  8. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Those are intriguing! I've never seen MPC checks before. How would they pay increments below 5 cents, I wonder.

9. lettow

lettow Senior Member

One cent coins.

10. techwriter

Came upon this while cruising about eBay. Love the train vignette; plus has my brother's birthday and birth state.(few years later of course :))
    ==
    [​IMG]

11. techwriter

12. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

I picked this up a long time ago because I lived in the Albany NY area and was familiar with the local history. Killian K Van Rensselaer had quite a life. He was secretary to General Phillip Schuyler and a US Senator. Among other things. In addition, his grandson, Charles Van Rensselaer, was the 1st officer aboard the S S Central America when it was lost in the hurricane of 1857.

VanRensselaer.jpg

SteveInTampa, gsalexan and techwriter like this.
  13. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

As with most of my collectibles my reason for picking this one up was because it is from Albany NY. The check was printed for use by Mechanics and Farmers Savings Bank, however, the signer crossed out "Mechanics and Farmers" and wrote in "National" to go with the "Savings Bank". The signer was Albert Vander Veer. Albert was born in Root, NY in 1841 and May 1862, he enlisted in the United States Medical Corps, one of the original One Hundred Medical Cadets called to service by the Surgeon General of the United States army. He had a great career with Albany Medical College after mustering out of the Army in 1865. Notation on the check states that the funds are for furnishing the new Albany Hospital.

Albany Hospital.jpg

jester3681 and techwriter like this.
  14. gsalexan

I got this one in a lot recently. I like it for the little lute player, but it also shows something I've not seen before. It is not made out for a dollar amount, rather for "amt. of all dividends due on stock of Central Ohio RR Co." I wasn't aware you could legitimately write a check this way, but it appears to have cleared.

Dividend check.jpg Dividend check cu.jpg

15. conder0289

conder0289 Member

The Revenue imprint was done as a separate printing to the overall check design and was done after the initial check was printed, its location does vary on the finished product, its means nothing, unless it is real off center

16. conder0289

conder0289 Member

17. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

In case you didn't know, hundreds of varieties of this "revenue stamped paper" are listed in the U.S. Specialized Scott Stamp Catalog, available in most libraries.

18. conder0289

conder0289 Member

Oh yes, I know that, I am a contributor to their listings, the piece pictured above has been again added to the Scott Catalog after decades of it being removed. A lot of the listings for Revenue Stamped Paper are vague at best, pricing is irrelevant, considering some varieties are very scarce to very rare, but Scott fails to take that into account

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  19. gsalexan

It seems odd that they would cancel the 2 cent blue stamped revenue, since you can't really remove/reuse it. Is this unusual? I don't recall seeing other instances of cancelled revenue stamped paper.

20. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Wasn't the "cancellation" accomplished by punching the bank's name, or a transaction number, in small holes across the check?

21. gsalexan

Correct -- I wasn't very specific. Usually a check itself is cancelled by punch holes or other means, not the printed revenue.

Draft saved Draft deleted