Old Check Collectors Share Your Checks!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Stripeythecrab, Mar 19, 2013.

1. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Always brings a smile when, in my check collecting adventures, I run across checks from one company that succeeded another; such as the case with these. A bit of biographical information:
    ==
    A brief biography of Arthur B. Brooks.

Brooks, Arthur B., was born January 16, 1845, in Stratford. Conn. His father, Frederick, moved with his family to this country in the spring of 1853, having Purchased the hatting business of Isaac Tichenor, which business he carried on until his death in 1871. Arthur B. was educated in the old Ithaca Academy, and at the age of sixteen entered the employ of George Halsey, and then occupied the store in which Mr. Brooks is now located, remaining with him for six months, during which time he assisted in moving the stock to the store now occupied by White & Burdick, and then went with Schuyler & Curtiss for about four years. In 1867 he went in partnership with John and J. C. Gauntlett, under the firm name of Gauntlett & Brooks. Mr. John Gauutlett died in 1876, but the business was continued by the surviving partners until 1890, when J. C. Gauntlett retired from business, and since then it has been conducted by Mr. Brooks alone. In 1892 he moved from the old stand, which f or forty years had been occupied as a drug store, to his present location No. 30 East State street, where he first began as a clerk. His present store has been entirely refitted with new and modern fixtures. Mr. Brooks is putting up a number of preparations, which are meeting with a ready sale, and also carries a full line of druggists' supplies, toilet articles, cigars, etc. In 1870 he married Mary, the daughter of John Gauntlett, and they have two sons, Alfred C., a graduate of Cornell University, class. of '93, architecture, and John G., a graduate of the Ithaca High School, and is now studying pharmacy under his father.

Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
    Including a History of Cornell University
    Edited by: John H. Selkreg
    D. Mason & Co., Publishers
    Syracuse, N. Y. 1894
    ===
    chk_GauntlettBrooks_1882_face.jpg chk_GauntlettBrooks_1887_face.jpg chk_ABBrooks_face2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. techwriter

One more with a wonderful history:
    ===
    American owned and operated, The Page Seed Company has provided quality products to the gardening community since 1896. Both professional horticulturalists and hobby gardeners rely on our abundant selection of Flowers, Vegetables, Herbs and Organic Varieties. Page’s takes great pride in our seed selection and purchases. Our company strictly works with suppliers having the best quality and highest germination available in the market. We do not offer any retail or custom imprinted packets that are “Genetically Engineered”.
    As one of the largest seed companies in the world, we offer multiple brands targeted to specific retail markets, wholesale packaging and distribution for branded programs, custom imprinted products for business’ promotional needs, and community based educational programs. At Page’s Seeds, from planting the first seed all the way to harvest, we are dedicated to helping our customers grow. Thank you for your trust!
    ( www.pageseed.com )
    ===
    chk_PageSeedCo_face.jpg

SteveInTampa likes this.
  4. J Meldrum

J Meldrum New Member

Can anyone tell me anything about this?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

That looks like a novelty joke check with a not-so-subtle anti-Semitic tone.

6. J Meldrum

J Meldrum New Member

I did sense that lol. Has anyone here ever seen one before?

7. J Meldrum

J Meldrum New Member

Are novelty checks desirable at all?

8. gsalexan

I'm sure there are collectors out there! Actually there may be collectors of anti-Semetic material, just as there are some who collect racist material from the Jim Crow era. Not making any judgement calls, just noting there is a market for such things.

J Meldrum likes this.
  9. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I think that many with a number, like No. 13, are novelty.

10. techwriter

Always like to "connect" fiscal items; such as a check from Montana territory and a banknote from the Bank of Canada money museum that share a vignette from the American Bank Note Company. chk_MT_Helena_merchants-ntl-bank_1888_ABNCo-vignette_face.jpg canada_ontariobank_$20_face.jpg
    =====

Endeavor, gsalexan and SteveInTampa like this.
  11. gsalexan

The Reapers! Very popular vignette. American Bank Note engraved this in two sizes; the smaller version is shown on your check. The large version also appears on a railroad bond for the Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati & St. Louis Rwy.

That's a beautiful Montana territorial check, Les!

2CCC&SL.jpg

SteveInTampa and Endeavor like this.
  12. techwriter

=====
    chk_1898_ABBrooks_face.jpg
    Recently found this check, it fits right along with my post ( #181 above); this is an earlier check than the one posted earlier.

13. gsalexan

Picked up a couple nicely engraved checks from the Carlisle Deposit Bank in PA. (Actually, one is a Certificate of Deposit.) The CD is of additional interest to me because the upper vignette matches one I have in my proof collection. The Indian maiden and eagle also show up on obsolete notes.

Carlisle Deposit Bank.jpg
    Carlisle Deposit Bank 1869.jpg

Eagle shield flags.jpg

14. techwriter

Always a plus to find "shared" vignette checks; and from such geographical distances from each other; and different printing firms.
    =====
    chk_ship_BuddSon_1869_StLouis.jpg chk_ship_CharlestonSC_1883.jpg

15. techwriter

16. techwriter

17. techwriter

18. techwriter

19. techwriter

Found these: 2 checks and 2 items with eye-catching artwork that needed a new home:
    =====
    chk_TN_Chattanooga-Medicine_1894_face.jpg chk_LA_A-K-Seago_1893_face.jpg chk_SC_WmBird-oils_1904_face.jpg chk_GA_moore-marsh_1888_face.jpg

gsalexan likes this.
  20. techwriter

gsalexan likes this.
  21. techwriter

Considering all the "correctness" and "do not offend" movements lately, I'm beginning to worry about preservation of such items as this. Hopefully no one is offended, if so, well just remember his property was seized and is now Arlington National Cemetery
    chk_VA_RELee_CovingtonNational_Nov1903_face.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted