Old Bronze #1, please help identify

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Louis West, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Louis West

Louis West New Member

No clue what this might be, any feedback is appreciated. I will be posting a second coin in a separate thread.

36.5mm, 12 grams

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

This says "Yong Tong Quan Huo" 永通泉貨
    There was a real coin with these characters from the Southern Tang Kingdom during the 10 Kingdoms Period (907-960). However it is quite rare. I think this is likely a modern reproduction patterned on Hartill 15.78

Stevearino and Spark1951 like this.
  4. Louis West

Louis West New Member

Any suggestions on how to check if it is a reproduction or if it is authentic?

5. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Well, the rarer the coin, the more skepticism is recommended.
    Here are some older dynastic coins for comparison to show what a typical ~1000 year old cash looks like. These are all common types (~$1-2), so no reason to suspect they are worth counterfeiting.
    Emperor Hui Zong 1101-1117
    ob.jpg
    rev.jpg

Tang Dynasty 621-907 AD
    Card.jpg

Might be worth asking an expert, but the wear on your coin doesn't look like most 1000-year-old cash which I have seen. And the patina looks a bit different. Would be exciting if real, but with Chinese coins, it's always good to exercise a lot of caution. Most of the fakes aren't really trying to fool anyone, but for the more expensive coins, there are some very convincing fakes out there (or so I hear).

Muzyck likes this.
  6. Louis West

Louis West New Member

Thank you for the information! Very much appreciated

The Eidolon likes this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Very knowledgeable and interesting response Eidolon, enjoyed the read. Thanks for the post Louis West.

The Eidolon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted