Old British Round Pound

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Legomaster1, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I had a bag of foreign coinage that was purchased a while back. As I didn’t have time to sort through it, I’ve forgotten about it after a couple of years.
    Yesterday, I rediscovered it, and thought it would be an interesting weekend activity.
    However, one of the coins happened to be quite distinctive- an old English pound.

These “round pounds” were meant for the replacement of £1 notes, and were first minted in 1983. Old paper £1 notes were withdrawn in 1984.

Recently, in an effort to thwart forgers, the Royal Mint last issued the round pound in 2016, and introduced a dodecagonal bimetallic pound in that same year.
    The British Museum happens to have a display of counterfeit round pounds that have been seized.

upload_2019-6-14_11-2-17.jpeg

The last day for spending old £1 coins was October 15, 2017.
    So, I missed that deadline by almost 2 years. Now, the coin has to be exchanged by being taken to a bank (in the UK).
    That seems like too much hassle for just 1 pound.

upload_2019-6-14_10-44-19.jpeg

upload_2019-6-14_10-44-39.jpeg

Comparison of 1991 £1, and 2016 £1 I received on my trip to the UK last year.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    George McClellan, chrisild and PaddyB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

[​IMG]
    Various 1 pound coin designs.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

At least they have a lot of interesting designs. Though from what I read, a large percentage were counterfeited.

5. Legomaster1

Exactly. That’s why they were replaced. These coins were very easy to cast.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder how many passed through my hands when I lived there.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

One way of making the old £1 coins was to set up a mint and produce them. ;) At least that is what the "European Central Mint", a private mint in Amsterdam, did. They had an official minting contract with Suriname, but their production obviously focused on not-quite-so-legal activities ...

Christian

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

9. Legomaster1

Surprising. Although several are obvious fakes, a couple of the coins posted on the site would be hard to tell apart from real ones.

10. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

And to think that once upon a time, a British pound was worth well over $4. How the mighty have fallen; I guess two world wars will do that to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted