Old Big Silver, Nice Toning!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mkm5, Oct 9, 2023.

1. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

My phone camera can't bring out the full rainbow colors of this coin; it's one of my favorites!

Hope you like it too!

IMG_20231009_231107.jpg IMG_20231009_230237.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

This Lion Thaler was my pocket carry coin for a couple of years until I decided it was too nice to risk losing, so I put it away a couple of years ago, and this I how I found it looking last night!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I wish the photos were better, too dark. But I've always liked those coins and still haven't bought one. The prices seem all over the place.

Randy Abercrombie and Mkm5 like this.
  5. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I'll try for some better pictures today.

I really like them too; prices are all over the map. I think I paid $200-$250 for it, and I see really rough ones going for that price now. edit: (just checked, it was $170).

There are modern restrikes which I have, dated 2018 to 2022, but there's just something I like better about the originals!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

That is a great pocket piece! ;)

7. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you! I've got a lot of family with roots from the Netherlands, and this coin never disappoints when handed around at holiday gatherings!

I especially like telling the youngsters about how the Thaler/Daalder, as a one ounce silver coin, eventually became the "dollar!"

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

As long as I have been collecting coins (and that’s been a very long time), I had never known this until just a few weeks ago when @lordmarcovan laid that very cool factoid on me shortly after I purchased my very first Thaler.

Mkm5 and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice. I still don’t have a Lion daalder.

Mkm5 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted