Old and in the way

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I think of you often @jamesicus and wonder how things are going. Careful what you fondle. You may renew some interests. :confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I was thinking of you just yesterday, while looking at my James I Quarter Laurel:)!
    Unfortunately, not to many people today, have the work ethic of your generation;)
    John

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Thank you Bing - and Beverly especially thanks you! :)

Bing, Alegandron and panzerman like this.
  5. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Glad you're doing better RC. Here are a couple of my "coot" emperors:

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-fSFCvAgOfjk34Dn-Tiberius fourree denarius.jpg

Tiberius (Augustus)
    Coin: Bronze/Silver Fourree Denarius Fourree
    TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS - Laureate head right
    PONTIF MAXIM - Livia, as Pax, holding branch and sceptre, seated right; plain legs to chair with double line below.
    Mint: Lugdunum (Lyon) mint (18-35AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 2.80g / 19mm / 360
    Rarity: Common
    References:
    RIC 1 30 (c), Group 4 (official)
    BMCRE I 48 (official)
    RSC II 16a (official)
    SRCV I 1763 (official)
    Giard Lyon, Group 4, 150
    Acquisition/Sale: numismatellusstabilit Ebay $0.00 12/17
    Notes: Jun 13, 18 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

Antoninus Pius (138-161). AE Sestertius, 151-152. 3.jpg

Antoninus Pius (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    IMP CAES T AEL HADR ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP - Laureate head right.
    TR POT XV COS IIII, S-C below, - Antoninus seated left on curule chair, holding globe, crowned by Victory flying left.
    Exergue: SC

Mint: Rome (152 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 22.13g / 33mm / 6h
    Rarity: Scarce
    References:
    RIC III 889
    Banti 455
    Cohen 969
    Provenances:
    Artemide Aste
    Acquisition/Sale: Artemide Aste Internet Artemide Aste 9 #389 $0.00 10/19
    Notes: Oct 22, 19 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

6. jamesicus

Thank you John. I don’t remember seeing your pic of that coin and I do not recall ever seeing a pic of a really nice specimen anywhere. Would you please post it again? Thanks.

panzerman likes this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Domitia Longina -- Domitian's wife and Corbulo's daughter -- was apparently close to 80 when she died. I wish I had one of her coins, but I don't!

Alegandron and Roman Collector like this.
  8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Glad to do that Jamesicus:) lf - 2020-02-26T133343.095.jpg lf - 2020-02-26T133356.127.jpg

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

jamesicus likes this.
  10. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

I think none of the emperors or empresses can match Livia, she must have been 87/88 when she died.

11. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that you are back on your feet again! Pneumonia is a most nasty business – I hope you were able to take enough time off to regain your full strength and are fully recovered by now.

That's my new definition of offensive tactlessness. (And I say this as a person who, measured by the average age of this forum, is quite young.)

Here are a Tiberius as well as a drachm of Ariobarzanes I showing the Cappadocian king in his mature years. He aged quite well, I find.

Rom – Tiberius Denar, Tribute Penny 1.png
    Tiberius, Roman Empire, denarius, 15–18 AD, Lyon mint. Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, laureate portrait right. Rev: PONTIF MA[XIM], Livia as Pax seated right on chair with ornately decorated legs, holding sceptre (or spear) and branch. 18mm, 2.8g. Ref: RIC I Tiberius 28; Giard: Le monnayage de l'atelier de Lyon 1 (1983), group 2, 146.

Cappadocia – Ariobarzanes drachm (neu).png
    Ariobarzanes I. Philorhomaios, Kingdom of Cappadocia, AR drachm, 66/65 BC, Eusebeia mint. Obv: Diademed head right. Rev. BAΣIΛEΩΣ APIOBAPZANOY ΦIΛOPΩMAIOY, Athena standing left, holding shield, spear and Nike; to left monogram, Λ in exergue (off flan). 17mm, 4.3g. Ref: Simonetta 1977, no. 43.

Also, it's good to hear that you are doing so well, @jamesicus !
    I have to say that I truly admire the way you handle and enjoy life at your age in such a wise and dignified manner.

12. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Are Byzantine times counting? What about Anastasius I Dicorus (431-518 AD) who ruled until the venerable age of 87. Here is one of his solidi ( not mine):
    [​IMG]

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@jamesicus ! I think of you often. I really enjoy the calligraphy... you had sent me a couple letters with your wonderful script ( I keep them as a reminder to contrast with MY horrid handwriting!)

Happiness to you and Beverly. I am blessed with Grandparents who were happily married and enjoyed it past their 98th and 97th Birthdays. We enjoyed a wonderful 75th Wedding Anniversary with them!

DOMITIA (approx 80)
    [​IMG]
    RProv Domitia Lydia Philadelphia AE 16 Grape Bunch RPC 1336

LIVIA (approx 88)
    [​IMG]
    RI Alexandria Livia, w Augustus Diobol CE 1-2 Æ 23.5mm 7.46g. Rev. Athena holding Nike Sheild ex Dattari-Savio Pl. 3 60-this coin RPC pag. 692-5-this coin

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

But, THIS guy!

He lived to be 72, but he SURVIVED a lot! Full life, and a true nemeses of Rome and whomever crossed his path!

Awesome man.
    [​IMG]
    PONTOS Amisos 85-65 BCE Æ24 12.2g Mithradates VI as Perseus r Phrygian helmet Pegasos grazing l Malloy 33b HGC 7 239

15. jamesicus

panzerman likes this.
  16. jamesicus

Thank you @Orielensis - although I do not feel very wise or dignified very often. Here is an As of good old Tiberius - I think he became a crotchety curmudgeon .in his old age - just like me!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, TIBERIUS, As, Rome, No. 44 (AD 21-22)
    Obverse: Tiberius, bare headed, facing left
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVST IMP VIII
    Reverse: centered S C
    Inscription clockwise from top: PONTIF MAXIM TRIBVN POTEST XXIIII

(Naturally, as a calligrapher, I selected this coin because of the superb Roman Capitalis Monumentalis letterforms on the reverse)

17. jamesicus

Thank you - I don’t think your handwriting is horrid - it has good character.

Thank you for that nice sentiment and God bless your grandparents! I often forget to include coin pics with my posts. Here is a nice restoration coin of Titus who obviously greatly admired Augustus:

[​IMG]

AUGUSTUS AS, TITUS RESTORATION ISSUE, 80-81 AD
    (27mm, 10.71 gm)

BMCRE Volume II, Rome, Titus No. 273-275
    RIC Volume II, Part 1 (second edition), Titus, No. 462
    Obverse depiction: Augustus, radiate head facing left
    Reverse depiction: Eagle with wings spread standing on Globe
    Inscription: IMP T CAES AVG RESTITVIT - S C (above, left and right)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I too most enjoyed the calligraphy on the envelope you sent me containing the gift coin of Maximian.

panzerman likes this.
  19. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Happy recovery. May you live much longer than all the Roman Emperors. Cheers..

20. jamesicus

Thank you, @7Calbrey - I already have!

Roman Collector and panzerman like this.
  21. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Pertinax was 66 when he got his portrait on coins. I think we can reckon him as «old and in the way» at that time....
    31E79C86-738B-48E5-B6B5-23199EF40C25.jpeg

Here are some other old fellows that are already mentioned:

6D88B4B4-E5C1-4DCA-96CD-A21AEE477467.jpeg 7D989EC5-F015-4A54-B11A-7715D9D0B04F.jpeg F75E6412-94FF-47C8-9AF1-C0F69507590A.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted