Old Age and Old Coins...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cladking, Jul 28, 2018.

1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

OK, I admit it. Like most of us who started collecting coins in 1957 I'm getting a little long in the tooth. I've been just using reading glasses to look over roll coins for decades and get out a magnifier only for interesting coins.

Quarters have been getting increasingly "ratty" for a long time because most of their wear now comes from dinging around in coin counters rather than sliding around in pockets. But @Robert91791 's thread with pictures of coins made me think he was a poor photographer. Actually that's what quarters look like with stronger reading glasses! Most of the quarters now are pretty bad with my latest sample being 46% of eagle reverse coins are culls and almost all the rest are ratty from scratches. I found only a single pre-1979 quarter in 5 rolls that I'd deem "collectible. It is a nice attractive '70-D in VF-. There are lots of later states and parks quarters that are nice including a few nice Gems of recent issues all the way back to last year.

But for the main part everything is all scratched up. Perhaps they're using larger hoppers now and coins get marked up going through them.

It feels strange to me because this seems like it happened almost overnight. These coins went from even younger than I am to almost as old.

It can truly be said that time don't fly, it bounds and leaps. The tide comes in rather suddenly whether you watch it or just watch (dr) moon.

If you haven't seen Robert91791's thread, check it out.

Robert91791 and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I see a 1947 cent, I'll think "that's in better condition than I am". I find a 1965 coin, and think that was the year I graduated high school, a 1967 - the year I married, etc........

4. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

I didnt prepare enough time to get a better shot at those quarters. I just wanted to show collectors enough about what I find through my hunting.

5. Robert91791

Im in denial. But yes im a poor photographer.

6. Robert91791

Man your putting me on the spot. Now im going to have to put more effort in making better pictures for posting. I will make a better effort to have better pictures.

Happy collecting

7. Robert91791

I do have a camera and I will start using it to have better pics.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Hey, your pictures aren't bad. Sure, they aren't great but it was my eyes that made me think your pictures were unlike the coins. Your pictures are like wearing more powerful reading glasses.

:watching:

Robert91791 likes this.
  9. Robert91791

Sorry those pictures are just from my cell with limited light. I can do better

Draft saved Draft deleted