Okay this requires explaination

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Jul 16, 2020.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Okay some one tell me what proof do you need to furnish and how this proof is varifiable by records of both parlays involved .. cause to back date coins you'd need to keep extensive records and sale slips

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

• Some please try to explain to me

4. kaosleeroy108

Past coins really prior to 2012 or whatever there cutoff date is idk .. seem washy

5. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

NGC says to qualify for the designation: "Coins issued in prior years are eligible for the Early Production designation if they are still sealed in their original mint packaging with a date on or before January 31."

So I take that to mean only prior year coins still in original mint packaging with a date. Does not sound like you could resubmit already graded coins.

thomas mozzillo and Kentucky like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Another scam to make coins look like they are worth more than they really are. The "First Strike" designation is already a joke. The US Mint starts making some coins as early as September the year before. They are put in storage (inventory) and are not at all traceable to the date of manufacture. There is no way to tell if a coin was the first (even early) strike or near the last. The commercial end of the collecting game has come up with ways to make you think that the coin is early production. Throw your money away if you like and then tell all your friends that you got your coin earlier than other people.

7. kaosleeroy108

Okay so like u.s.mint products are traceable to a degree

8. Inspector43

In most cases we know that they were made by the U S Mint. We don't know when.

nuMRmatist likes this.
  9. Inspector43

A good example: the birth set was released January 3, 2020. It includes the following. Do you think the mint worked real hard over the New Year holiday to make all those coins?

The 2020 United States Mint Birth Set is an ideal gift for the arrival of a baby in 2020. It includes these proof coins, each bearing the “S” mint mark of the United States Mint at San Francisco:
    • Kennedy half dollar
    • National Park of American Samoa quarter from the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program
    • Roosevelt dime
    • Jefferson nickel
    • Lincoln penny

Spark1951 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment that it is basically a worthless designation used to hype up and sell the coins for more.

11. kaosleeroy108

Okay so do you need to submit order paperwork

12. Inspector43

I don't know. It is a scam and I do not take part in scams. It is only a way to suck money out of people who do not understand coins and coin production.

13. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Yeah I would think that you would need to send the coin out to NGC before they stop making the early strikes. That's the only way really.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Basically it is for silver eagles that are still in their sealed green monster boxes that have packing slips in them showing they were packed before Jan 1. You ship them a sealed box of say 2003 silver eagles, and when they open it the packing slip say it was packed Dec 18, 2002. These coins are now eligible for this new label. So they will probably call you and ask "Hey these silver eagles you sent in are eligible for the Pre Production label. You want to spring for the extra $12.50 per label to have them say that?" (After all that's an extra $6,250 into the TPG's pocket. That's worth calling and asking about.)

John Burgess and Morpheus like this.
  15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Order paperwork is worthless as orders can be placed months in advance. The only thing that counts are shipping and or packing labels - which is why the coins have to be in the original packaging mailed out by the mint.

That said, all it proves is that the coins were among the group of coins shipped earlier than some others. Which is all that slab label really means.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Well , my coffee is on the screen now ....................................

UncleScroge and Inspector43 like this.
  17. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

I’m still not clear as to what you’re looking for. Do you have coin(s) that might qualify for this designation, or were you just wondering what is needed to receive the “Early xxx” designation?
    If you have a potential submission, consider explaining the details here. You will likely get the answer you need, but not necessarily the one you want!

Inspector43 likes this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Be safe not sorry. In my opinion the best TPG is the first G YOU

19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I heartily agree with @Inspector43 and @Lawtoad that it is just a gimmick to get more coins sent to them for grading. NAV IMHO.

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. Inspector43

@kaosleeroy108 I hope you are following your own advice printed as a footnote in your posts.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I would think that if you had an unopened box from the mint with a postmark containing the date, that would be sufficient. Anything more would not.

Draft saved Draft deleted