Okay guys, what the h**K is this?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by satootoko, Mar 16, 2005.

1. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG][​IMG]
    You have to look closely, but on the reverse, just above the slash mark, to the right of the "1" below the tailfeathers, are what the owner thinks are three Japanese characters. They can't be read under the highest magnification of the picture before it degrades and pixilates, but the one on the bottom does resemble the character for "month" - missing one stroke. :confused:

According to the owner the marks are raised, not incuse, and the weight and diameter are correct for a quarter-eagle.:confused:

Also, that heavy ding on Ms. Liberty's mouth resembles a very small chopmark. :confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rick

rick Coin Collector

I've never heard of this. I read chinese, and the meanings are the same for most of the written language, but I can't make them out from the picture.

I can't make out the chopmark, from the photo.

near the mouth?

4. civitas

civitas Junior Member

Hard to say as there's not much clarity to the photograph. However, it looks like some kind of modern struck counterfeit. The hair detail looks all wrong to my eye. Way too bold and well defined. The slope to Liberty's nose looks too steep/curved. 'L' in LIBERTY is too far forward on the coronet. The stray 'Chinese' marks are probably just the forgers signature.

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I blew up the picture, but it's not very high resolution, and started degrading at about 120%. My Beautiful Bride reads Japanese, but couldn't decipher these marks.

Thanks for the input Josh. You are far more expert on U.S. gold than I am.

The surfaces don't look like a casting to me, so perhaps the forger put those marks in his die.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well look who stopped by :eek:

Howdy Josh - Welcome aboard !!

Have to say that I agree with your thoughts about the coin.

7. civitas

civitas Junior Member

I'm branching out. :) Soon my life will consist of nothing but internet forums..... :)

Didja get your Louis D'or yet? :)

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

GOOD !! - We could use the help :D

Not yet pal, I have the girls waitin for the mailman with a big net though :D

9. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I saw this on ebay yesterday. The sleler is pretty sur eit is gold and is selling it at aprice based on that. Could be any kind of junk, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted