Ok ya'll

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by micheldura2, Apr 20, 2010.

1. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

I found a 1956 silver lincoln cent...the only thing is...a magnet moves it...I would have said..oh someone chemically altered it..but this thing is attracted to a magnet..help me understand how this could happen???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micheldura2

ok, found this...hmmm

1937 Lincoln Cent has Magnetic Personality [​IMG]
    1937 Lincoln Cent has Magnetic Personality

A couple from Thornton, CO recently made an unusual discovery. While searching for 1943 Steel Cents, they found a 1937 steel cent instead? After being told that a magnet was the easiest way to search for steel cents, they put it to the test. Waiving an ordinary kitchen magnet over the heap of Lincolns knowing a steel cent would be attracted to the magnet and “jump” out of the pile, while the cooper cents laid still. It didn’t take long before the plan worked. But it was not the results they were expecting.
    The coin attracted to the magnet was not a 1943 Steel Cent, but an otherwise normal 1937 Copper Lincoln Cent. How could this be? The 1937 is supposed to be comprised of 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc, none of which is attracted to a magnet.
    Knowing they had something different and maybe special, they spoke with a friend who collects coins. He knew it would have to be authenticated to be sure the coin is genuine and recommended they submit the coin to Independent Coin Grading (ICG) in Englewood, CO.
    ICG uses sensitive balances (scales) to determine weight. It fell into the normal parameters for the denomination and date. There was no sign of damage or evidence that the coin had been tampered with in any way. They hypothesized it contained a fragment of iron large enough to cause a reaction from a magnetic force.
    The next step was to compare the magnetic cent, to other copper cents (not magnetic) from the same time period and a 1943 steel “penny” by running them through further tests. First, a specific gravity test was used to determine mass. Next, the coins were measured for conductivity. And each was tested for its reaction to the same magnet. While the conductivity was similar, the mass was off and the reaction to the magnet was significantly different.
    The 1937 was also run through a Phillips, Epsilon 5, PANalytical, X-Ray Fluorescence Instrument. The high-tech X-Ray machine is able to determine the elements of which an object is comprised. As expected the coin contained iron. Knowing it contained iron and using the data from the previous test compared to a sliver of 100% iron it is estimated the coin contains 2% iron contamination, only one part in 50, but enough to lift it onto a magnet. The tests also indicated that other Lincoln cents tested from that time period contain some iron contamination and could be attracted to a magnet with enough strength. But this particular coin was the only one that reacted to the magnetic force of a common house hold magnet. That also leads ICG to believe that there are more Magnetic Lincoln Cents. So check your collections and pocket change, you to may have a coin with magnetic personality.

4. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

So what's it worth?

5. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

With iron included? well it costs the mint 2.2c to make a penny that is worth 1c,so 1.2c
    It actually sounds pretty neat,and there is no real way to tell what someone would be willing to pay for it.cool find.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

How 'bout a pic of this magnetic phenomena.......

7. micheldura2

ok, let go take a pic real quick..hold on :)

8. micheldura2

1956 magnetic lincoln

here it is..

Attached Files:

9. micheldura2

Who would I send it to for clarification?

10. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Why would it be silver in color?

It seems as though someone had to put a coating on it or something......

11. micheldura2

the 1956d Lincoln Wheat Centpenny Au value of yellow metal can plummet or skyrocket it stands out as the background which increases its worth as time marches on.

I just read this...I know it is not a Denver coin...yet it does appear sort of yellowish...I do not know why it is attracted to a magnet..it does look like a silver coating of some kind. I wonder if it is possible to put a magnetic coating on the coin.??? It just really surprised me last night when I moved that coin across the table with my magnet.

12. micheldura2

This was a good read...

PCGS The Standart for the Rare Coin Industry

Professional Coin Grading Service

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]Authenticating 'Silver Pennies'

Ken Potter - August 17, 1999 [FONT=arial,helvetica]
    Reader Judy McCaulley wrote about a 1982 cent she thinks may be a "silver penny." She asked if there is any way to authenticate it.
    Lets first note that "silver pennies" (more specifically - cents struck in error on a silver dime planchets or blanks) are more or less only possible on cents dated 1966 and earlier. 1966 was the last year the government struck 90% silver dimes (and other denominations) for general circulation. (90% silver coins produced in 1965 and 1966 bore the date 1964 due to a date- freeze.) edited

....or visit his Educational Image Gallery located at: http://www.uscents.com/potter/.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Thats a cool coin !!

14. micheldura2

alright...check this out....

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]1956 Lincoln Cent NGC AU-58[/FONT]
    Struck on a Dime planchet.
    [​IMG] Certified: NGC
    Price: $1200.00 Back to Listings
    [/FONT]

15. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

could be plated too. Lots of "silver" cents were plated via electrolysis in high school chemistry classes.

16. micheldura2

bq coins..you are correct..metal and steel plating...that is what the magnet was attracted to. would'nt it of been some kind of sweet find if it had been on a dime planchet. I got my eye out for one now that I know they exist..

Draft saved Draft deleted