OK ok I'm SURE this is the Illusive Doubled Die I have been relentlessly persuing! Lol

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by FooFighter, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Want to explain what is wrong with it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

"Illusive" means it looks like what it isn't and it isn't what it looks like.

I think the OP was grammatically correct with that descriptive adjective. lol

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've explained it a dozen times, so I guess once more won't hurt.

Anyone who has been trained in drafting & mechanical drawing knows that the diagram shown for machine doubling is misleading. The horizontal surface meeting the vertical surface to indicate "flat and shelf-like" should be squared at 90 degrees not curved as indicated in the drawing.

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

we could say that it is "Double Die" to make Foo and Paddyman happy :)

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I missed the first dozen times, which I guess will be obvious when I ask...

How can you assert that, given that the die moves at a finite speed? The die might bounce away leaving a square profile, but it might also drag away leaving a curved one, as illustrated at error-ref.com:

[​IMG]

I guess what I'm saying is this: if the profile on machine doubling has to be square, not curved, it looks like you've got your work cut out for you to convince the error community at large.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I've always wondered why they call it "shelf like" when it may be curved or may be 90-degree. When it is curved it most definitely is not shelf like (unless your cabinet maker was drunk). It is possible as you describe to be either, but the description is only applicable to one of the two possibilities.

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I'm curious, which specific Class of Doubled Die are you searching for @FooFighter ?

Because based upon the Class you are searching for you can narrow down your search to specific year/mm coins.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I guess it boils down to a matter of understanding the difference in terminology. With Mr. Cuvelier's first image of machine doubling, he explains....

"The push doubling shows a marginal doubling that is flat, uneven and cuts into the device."

That is the "flat and shelflike" appearance to the far left which is shown between the white arrows. It is not the curvature of the tape (?) which represents the remainder of the device after the die has cut into it.

In Mr. Cuvelier's second image, we are shown an actual portrayal of the full curvature of true hub doubling.

I should emphasize that Mr. Cuvelier's images are not what I am questioning. They are accurate, but whoever it was that drew the first diagram posted in this thread is wrong.

Chris

10. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

I e got extensive notes on the classes, without looking I believe there are 8. I'll post a more in depth reply here in a few.

Draft saved Draft deleted