Ok, I spent my whole budget(ish) on one coin that many here wouldn’t buy at all but …

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

1853-D $5 Large D MS61 PCGS. Variety 34-Z. Five die varieties of 1853-D half eagles are known. Among those, Variety 34-Z is probably the rarest, although Variety 34-X is also highly elusive. A Medium D variety was listed for many years but no such pieces are confirmed. This caramel-gold Dahlonega five is surprisingly devoid of marks except for minor contact above the hairbun. The strike shows blending on the lower half of the eagle and the curls near the ear. A drop or two of translucent residue is on the upper left portion of the shield.(Registry values: P1)

34-Z Large D (*formerly Medium D) center V rarest
    34-Y Large D center VE
    34-X Large D left rare
    35-X Large D left
    35-AA Large D right

I haven't been able to ID the different obverses yet. What differences I detect are easily within strike and wear differences rather than die differences.

Reverses Z and Y are almost as hard, but distinguishable.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Kasia likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It fits right in with price discounts for Large Cents. There doesn't seem to be much latitude between light and severe graffiti, only whether there's a TPG notation. A slight improvement if it denotes Reverse Graffiti on the label, even if it says Graffiti and it's on the reverse.

The label still makes too much difference.

Kasia likes this.
  4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I was really just saying a significant discount off a straight graded coin and probably shouldn’t have said a specific percentage.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And I didn't, and don't, mean to pry. It's certainly a coin I'd be pleased to own.

Draft saved Draft deleted