OK, apparently French ... ca. 16th century ... but what?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 11, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Is that a Lombardic "H"? Some King Henry (Henri)?

(Or is it an "R"? Looks much more like an "R", in which case that scribbly "Henry-something" attribution on the old 2×2 flies out the window.)

As of this typing the coin is in my safe deposit box at work so I can't provide weight and diameter just yet. Vaguely speaking, it's in that middling range between the diameters of a US nickel and quarter, perhaps closer to the latter. In hand it kind of feels like a Spanish 2-reales of this era, if you know what I mean. It is obviously silver. Any ideas?

IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0025.jpg

Cucumbor and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

R with a crown overhead = Roi?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

5. lordmarcovan

A "K" for Carolus/Charles? Wow. I didnt see that coming. Wouldn't have even been sure they had "K" in their alphabet then. After all, the Spanish don't use it, except for foreign words, so I wouldn't necessarily have expected to see a K on a 400-500-year-old French coin.

Edit - now that I remember it, though, there were K's on some of the coins Henry VIII of England struck during his marriage with Catherine/Katharine of Aragon, so ...

Thanks!

6. lordmarcovan

So much for assumptions. Apparently these douzain/dizain coins were struck in billon. So debased silver, anyway.

Thanks for steering me on the right track, @Mark Metzger. The misattribution on the 40-50-year-old 2x2 had thrown me for a loop.

7. lordmarcovan

Draft saved Draft deleted