Ok, a bit too much craziness sitting here watching HA life at Long Beach - trigger pulled - GTG!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Nice looking coin, from the images my opinion is that it shouldn't have been designated with cameo as the frosting on the reverse is too weak. Hopefully it looks better in hand as it can also be hard to capture the actual eye appeal of cameo coins in pictures.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I do know you are very wrong on that. I have been studying these for years now - and regardless of the popularity of the series - I do know how to grade and evaluate them. But thanks for the kick. :rolleyes:

Paul M. likes this.
  4. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

@crypto79 What am I missing here? Are you referring to NGC as an "off brand"?

5. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Brett,

I think you made a really nice buy. If you were to sell it in the holder it's in now, worse case it would go for about what you paid for it; good chance for more. Don't crack it out for any reason though. Too easy for 67 vs 68 to be a toss-up.

Cal

Brett_in_Sacto and Paul M. like this.
  6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I too made that inference about his remark. Can't agree with him.

Cal

Brett_in_Sacto and Paul M. like this.
  7. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

In terms of market preferences for top pops and high grade they absolutely are. I have plenty of NGC coins but it is a dangerous area of the market for collectors who care about equity/liquidity. The combo of unpopular series, non-perfered holder and thin market for high grade proofs make it risky even if it is an all-day 68 if such a thing exists. Dealers try to anticipate multiple layers of demand, one would be wise to contemplate what constitutes a layer of demand.

Besides learning how to grade, many collectors should take a random box of 20 on the floor at big show and try to sell it. The education doing that would help show the different layers of the market and triggering on how dealers analyze coins which would help teach how to protect one's self while buying what you like.

Blissskr and Tater like this.
  8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

congrats its a great looking coin. I'd send it to CAC if i were a member with them.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  9. Speaking of scratches, does anyone here know how to remove them without leaving the slab cloudy looking? I have some GSAs that are pretty bad, tried Slab Renew but it left the case dull looking. Thanks for any help.

10. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with headlight polish, patience and elbow grease. Mind you - try it on your common stuff first before attempting anything expensive.

And do it gently. Don't think you will save time with a buffing wheel. You're likely to overheat and melt the plastic or burn right through it.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I am 99.999999% sure that coin has already been to CAC.
    Pretty, tho.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Brett, I checked out auction prices and it looks like you got a very nice coin at a competitive price. Congrats!

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted