Ok, a bit too much craziness sitting here watching HA life at Long Beach - trigger pulled - GTG!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'll put it this way, Brett. If you don't like it, feel free to make a non-tax deductible contribution of your coin to the Santinidollar Non-charitable Coin Foundation.:woot:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

So I shouldn't have melted it down for recycling is what you're telling me? :facepalm:

In all honesty, I couldn't believe the price I paid for it. The price was under "list" far enough to make me question the integrity of the grade, but in every technical sense, the coin meets grading quality, and my "secret agent" at the show said he believes it as well. Now it's just a matter of waiting until it's truly in hand. I was tracking it since they announced the catalog last month and did plenty of recon. But you never know until you know.

Once I get it in hand, I'll post my own pictures, which should be lousy enough to confuse the sharpest eyes on this board.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Oh wow, youre good !!!!!o_O:woot::shifty:

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think that V Nickel has great eye appeal but seems to be slightly overgraded; and they were generous with the cameo designation. No CAC sticker, but congrats, this is an outstanding coin (and apparently it was a good deal too). I'd have guessed PR64 from the close-ups and PR66 non-cameo from the second set of pictures.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Blissskr and Paul M. like this.
  6. mstng02gt

mstng02gt Junior Member

My guess before I saw the posted pic was a PR67 non cameo. To be honest though after seeing the pic of the holder I still believe it is a PR67 non cameo based on the pics. Some contrast but not enough for the designation. The coin is beautiful though!

Paul M. likes this.
  7. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Great Coin! I, myself, need a good halogen light to grade proof or high grade mint state coins. I need to see the light move across the coin.

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Pretty coin. Wow, memories of getting the call about 3-4AM in Amsterdam from my wife who was home in the USA who had just opened my bank statement and saw the big cheque for Stacks. Think, that thought of some bad news coming and finding out she just wondered why the he double hockey sticks I spent that much on a coin, actually I think it was three coins.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Wow man, nice one!

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

All I could say from the pictures is that it's at least PR65. Grades higher than that, especially PR68, need to be examined in hand. That era of NGC plastic can make coins look ugly, so I'd reholder it before sending to CAC, especially with the scratches. The really small spots give me some pause, but that's why in-hand viewing is a must for these.

micbraun and Paul M. like this.
  11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I had my guy preview it and was told to pass, of the 4 coins in the auction we passed on them all

Paul M. likes this.
  12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

You're absolutely right, we shouldn't even try to grade a high end proof coin based on a couple of pictures.

Santinidollar likes this.
  13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Brett:

Before you send it to CAC, send it to PCGS to see if it will cross at the same grade. If it does, it will have at least doubled and maybe quadrupled in value. PCGS is very stingy compared to NGC in handing out PR68's for older coins, and prices reflect it. Take a look at PR68 walkers for NGC versus PCGS, for example. If it won't cross at PCGS at the same grade, chances of a green sticker are slim.

Cal

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

My experience has been the opposite. Especially when I built my peace dollar collection. I would look at 65 grade dollars and know immediately they were over graded. I'm waiting to do my own evaluation in hand, but my guy said it hits the technicals and he agrees with the grade - and I do trust him implicitly.

We will see, but I'm quite pleased. :)

15. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

First, I was referring only to NGC and PCGS awarding of PR68's; PR65's don't count here. However, let's focus on the coin type you just purchased. The only PCGS-graded 1897 PR68CA to sell at auction sold for 5 times what you paid for your NGC coin. There have been other NGC-graded PR68CA's sold at auction, and they've gone for about what you paid to about twice that. Further, the NGC price guide value for 1897 PR68 is $9K, whereas the PCGS price guide value is $22K. So, both the guides as well as actual auction history indicate a PCGS PR68 is worth significantly more than a NGC PR68. If it will cross at the same grade and you want NGC for registry or some other reason, sell the PCGS and use the cash to buy another NGC and spend the difference on another coin. Or buy something nice for your wife. Nothing will get her behind your hobby like making money at it!

Cal

Paul M. likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I just looked up the price you bid. :wideyed:

I have no idea if you overpaid or not, but what I would have done is get a PF-67 CAM for less than half the cost. Or even a Pf-66/65 for even less.

17. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

When the value of a coin is almost completly tied to the specific grade (via type) one should show extreme care when buying off brand holders. If it is the type of coin that is what it is, then the brand of holder isn't that important.

I suspect you just bought an PF66 education in an PF68 holder of an unpopular series. There is value and there is liquidity and there are lessons on both in that coin. If you enjoy the coin, all of that doesn't matter.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  18. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Amazing career coin!

19. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

That is a beauty for sure. Great pickup.

20. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

@Brett_in_Sacto Awesome coin. . . Enjoy it!

If it makes you (or your wife) feel better, that's about what my 34S Peace Dollar set me back.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  21. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Just remember HA pictures do no justice.

Examples.

IMG_1441.PNG IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1446.PNG IMG_1447.JPG IMG_1443.PNG

IMG_1449.JPG

This one isn't bad.
    IMG_1451.PNG IMG_1450.JPG

Lastly IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1452.PNG
    You would think they'd hire someone to get pictures like PCGS does to try and boost sales.

I'd imagine the 20 Cent would have been much higher had the toning been visible. I wanted it for myself but the seller thought it'd do well at auction. It sold for several hundred less than what he asked me to pay for it, which was much lower then he hoped to get at auction.

I think you're going to love your coin when you get it in hand!

Draft saved Draft deleted