Oh the Irony - Viradaman - Chief King

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Some of you might no I have a sweet spot for Western Satraps coins. I manged to come across this particular specimen being offered, and had to jump on it. Viradaman whose name means Chief King or Chief Hero. The coin it self is listed in Alex Fishman's book as not particularly scarce, but with a very high premium for a clearly dated example. (this example requires some imagination) The coin was only known to have been minted for 4 years, and never mentions him Mahaksatrapa (Supreme ruler) but only as Ksatrapa (sub ruler) presumably under his father Damasena.

It is known that Viradaman was the eldest surviving child of Damasena, but it appears he too predeceased his father, as he is never mentioned as supreme ruler. Damasena was succeeded by Yasodaman as Mahaksatrapa the brother of Damasena. Although 17 years after his death, Mahaksatrapa Rudrasena II claimed on his coins to be the son of Viradaman.

The reverse of the coin follows suite with most other Western Satraps coins in that has the Chaitya and with the river flowing beneath, except this river curls at each end. This modification is never used on any other Western Satraps coins. :eek:

Date is partially off flan and worn and is thus hard to read it is a guess that it kind of looks like 160 SE which would work.

Western India
    Saka
    Western Satraps
    Viradaman Kardamaka, son of Damasena (r. AD 234-238)
    Mint A (Legend starts at 2 o'clock)
    AR Karshapana 16 mm x 2.21 grams
    Obverse: Formal Bust of Viradaman wearing Satrapal cap right. Blundered Greek Inscription around. Brahmi Date behind bust 160 Saka Era ?
    Reverse: Chaitya, curled river below, Crescent above and to the left of the Chaitya, Sun Burst to right - Mahaksatrapasa Damasenasaptrasa Rajnah Ksatrapasa Viradamnah.
    Ref: Fishman 21.1.160

ViradamanA.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Volodya, zumbly, icerain and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Oh great, just as soon as I announced I would be focusing on Indo-Greek and medieval coinage for a while, you have to come here and tempt other people to get into the Indo-Greek bandwagon. :drowning:

Don't get Indo-Greek coins people, at least not for the next 4 months or so, after Ive bought all the choice examples for little money. Ok? ;)

@Ancientnoob that is a wonderful coin. I love the portrait.

It's amazing that 500 + years after Alexander you could still find Greek influence on coinage half a world away...even if it's nothing but blundered Greek by that point.

icerain and Ancientnoob like this.
  4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Your Indo-Greeks are still safe this is the much later AD 50-400. Totally different beast. These are more like Scythian people who invaded the Indian interior, but borrowed their coin habits from the Greeks of long before.

Volodya and Sallent like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted