Oh the insanity of it all!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1066merlin1066, May 14, 2013.

1. I came to the realization that we (coin collectors) are insane. Whenever I go to the convenience store I try to use cash so I get change. As soon as the cashier hands me the coins the search is on! I never realized what it looks like to the cashier when I start rifling thru the coins. Today, I got a look from the cashier that could cut glass. She asked if I had a problem?, I know I gave you the correct change she said. My reply was no, everything is fine I'm a coin collector. Thats when I got the (this guy is crazy look). After I got back in the car it dawned on me that YES, it must look like I have issues. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

No, I don't tell anyone...except my therapist:D...that I collect coins. I wait until I'm in the privacy of my own home before I look at my change.

Bruce

4. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

Well think about it. "collect money" that's funny wording in itself, most people spend money. So to spend money on money and store/collect money would be strange to most. Spending money on shoes and movies, ok...spending money on money...hmmm.

5. vam78

vam78 Firefighter/Numismatist

We are insane and we love every moment of our insanity and buying impulses, just don't pull the trigger too early as I say.

6. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

We are all insane and sane, at the same time. ;)

This is because insanity is a relative term...

:D :D :D

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

At least we don't collect diesel fuel and fertilizer! We're harmless crazy.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Is this the look?

[​IMG]

I've see that look. ...too bad it didn't have anything to do with Numismatics. :eek:

9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It took you long enough to realize we're all mad, here! ;)

10. vam78

vam78 Firefighter/Numismatist

i like this crazy look almost as much as my coins, almost! :d

11. Yep, you nailed it LOL. You have obviously have gotten the same look.

12. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

It's not as bad as the look I get when I check the Coinstar machines.

13. That is the scary part, if we did collect that, no one would even give us a second look! But since we collect coins we should be put in a padded room.

14. richsabre

richsabre Uk Collector

yeah, the wierd looks...i get many of them, not all to do with coins. my age perhaps has something to do with it....i can't speak for anyone else but as a 22 year old male i guess im not conforming to stereotype....oh well, im a scientist...we're meant to do wacky things...
    rich

15. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I would say who cares what the cashier thinks, unless of course you are looking for a date, in that case I would change my game:)

16. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

What, do you mean looking for a certain date on a coin? That's all I can think of...:devil:

17. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

i remember back in the day being a cashier and some people would look at me and slowly count their change like they just couldn't believe that I could possibly manage to give them their correct change....and to a cashier it does get old and seem like people don't trust you.....they probably just think something along those lines.....

18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

You are blaming it on telling her you collect coins. But I bet she wouldn't give you such a look if you first
    made sure you had your teeth in and cleaned up some before going to the store to buy something. Plus if you wait until you are in the parking lot to look at it, the open mouth and open eyes wouldn't be there to scare her.

Attached Files:

19. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The world is full of real insanity. Coin collecting hardly qualifies.

20. Hey!, Kasia! how did you get that photo of me, have you been following me around again!
    ;)

21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

"Has this happened to anyone else?"

Yes, but only until I say: Hellooo Clairice.

Draft saved Draft deleted