Oh no...look how they massacred my boy...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Jan 27, 2022.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Sent this coin to NGC in August of last year.

Austria - 1820 B 3 Kreuzer.jpg

NGC flagged it for surface residues, so I agreed to let NCS conserve it.

After five months, it finally returned home yesterday...and this is what it looks like now (yes, it's rotated about 15 degrees off in the slab, as well as being unevenly tilted.)

(And of course it's in an UNC Details (Cleaned) slab now...)

Austria - 1820 B 3 Kreuzer NGC UNC Details.jpg

I should have never let Santino out of my sight.
    Should have just kept it and enjoyed the color, regardless of whatever surface residues might have been on the coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yeah, that's rough. I would unload it for however much I could get, lick the wound and move on. :(

UncleScroge likes this.
  4. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

I weep for you

5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Ouch!

mlov43 likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Complain to them

jb10000lakes likes this.
  7. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

Is that perimeter truly darker than when you sent it in, or is it just the contrast between the perimeter and new shiny center making it look that way? Not seeing much 'conservation'.

8. stldanceartist

Already have done so - because ALSO in this sub I have a proof coin with debris on the obverse field that wasn't there when I sent it in (looks like human sebaceous material), another proof with bubbles on one side that weren't there when I sent it in (my mind keeps hearing Ozzy/Sharon Osborne saying "Bubbles, Sharon!"), and multiple coins that weren't set in the prongs flat or rotated properly.

I sent them a very long email (with pictures) that, if recent history is any indicator, will not be replied to. That's what they told me to do when I called this morning.

That's just what it looks like now - here are some images with the full slab:

Austria - 1820 B 3 Kreuzer NGC UNC Details Slab - Obverse copy.jpg

Austria - 1820 B 3 Kreuzer NGC UNC Details Slab - Reverse copy.jpg

9. stldanceartist

Just...gonna...leave...this...here...because...I'm...trying...to...laugh:​

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Sorry NGC, but that's just wrong . . .

Evan Saltis likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That suck's I would have left it alone myself. They made it worse IMO.

UncleScroge likes this.
  12. stldanceartist

This submission is serious PTSD from this coin (which I really, really wanted to keep...until I got it back from them. Note the green spot on the obverse that wasn't there when I sent it in.)

Images from a previous thread here - when I called NGC to complain about this one, their response was denial/indifference.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 12.34.56 PM.png

Summary of this whole escapade is that I'm no longer going to send them any more coins, I will no longer recommend them to anyone else, and I definitely now consider them a firm overall second place in the TPG market.

mlov43 and imrich like this.
  13. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

That's appalling (but also reinforces my dislike of slabbing).

I'd be wanting them to refund me the slabbing cost, "conservation" fee and the full market value or purchase price of the coin, whichever was higher.

I expect I'd be on a hiding to nothing though. :(

Evan Saltis likes this.
  14. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, does NGC have a customer satisfaction rating system. There has to be some way to show your disappointment so others can be informed. Well, here on CT is another avenue of approach.

15. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Wow, thats aweful. I've heard stories of this before and its unfortunate as I have generally gravitated to NGC for world coins. I have a submission in at PCGS now so I'll see how that goes first. I guess it's a good think to always have decent photos of your own before submitting!!!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

So sorry. That's a coin I'd be breaking out and sending to PCGS for conservation and grading to see if it can be "saved."

17. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Honestly that's terrible.

18. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Who took the first picture and is that how it really looked? I ask because it looks like the lighting of some True View etc that try to bring out "all the pretty colors" when in hand you have to hold it just right otherwise it looks black.

19. stldanceartist

I took both sets of pictures - and yes, that's how it really looked (except it had more luster than it shows in the original photos.) I usually can get pretty close to how the coins looks in hand (except proof dimes with toning, haha)

KBBPLL likes this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Sorry to see; that is pretty poor of NGC. I’ve had “conservation” suggested on two of my subs at NGC but declined both times (neither coin had anything worth removing). With toners one has to be especially careful if NGC offers to conserve the coin.

21. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

What do you think the "surface residue" was? Lacquer?

Draft saved Draft deleted