Oh My! 2nd to the last roll of Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Amberlarry22, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

When I was a young collector virtually every coin ever released could still be found in circulation. The one that most of my friends looked for and talked about at our swap meets was the 1950 D Jefferson. And, the time frame I'm referring to was the early 50's. I think we all eventually found one, I did anyway.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Generally this is true but I've found the tough ones, aside from the 1950-D, are the 1938 and 1939 D & S mints. I've not found any of these and I searched nickels a lot between 2004 and 2011.

There is a hardcore coin searcher in Oregon who took literally 20 years to find a 1939-S, the last one that was needed to complete a set from circulation. And he started his quest in circa 1990 whereby given the era's very nature of being closer to the 1930's one would have expected such coins to have been easier to find in circulation than today.

4. Amberlarry22

Amberlarry22 Well-Known Member

Thank you

5. Amberlarry22

I'm still looking :)

kountryken and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Of course it gets harder to find a date the further we get away from it, but other factors in this day-and-age add to the 'scarcity'. The shear numbers of nickels produced in modern times make it far more likely to find older, harder dates/mms. The 2009 P and D nickels are akin to the 1950 D or other semikey nickel dates/mms. There numbers, by contrast, make it a bigger challenge to find and as time passes...it may appear as a stumbling date for future collectors.

7. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey Amberlarry22 nice finds. i guess im going to the next county for my next $25 box, not finding anything good. great job, good luck brother

8. Amberlarry22

thanks mike

9. Amberlarry22

Yes 2009 are hard to come by. I only have about 6 of them Denver mint are more scarce for me since I live in Michigan.

10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Your turn is coming Mike. We all get a bonus box at some point.

mike estes likes this.
  11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

12. DatDareNickelGuy

DatDareNickelGuy Well-Known Member

I thought I had decent boxes in San Antonio. But man! Your boxes are killing it!

Draft saved Draft deleted