Offset Transfer Error - WOW factor

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Harry Brown, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

I recently picked up these two banknotes, supposed to be common, but I never saw one in over 80 years of living. They are variously listed on the PMG holders as "Offset Transfer Error" and "Offset Printing Error". I, frankly, don't think there is a difference, except as an exercise in creative semantics. Be that as it may, I think when they cover the whole front or reverse of the bill, as these do, they definitely qualify as a "WOW" note. I probably paid a tad too much for at least one of them, but I wanted the pair. Even though they are of a different vintage, they do show a complete ink transfer on each side of a $1.00 bill. I may try adding a few variations, such as full corners, or some such, but these will remain the cornerstones of this group of errors for me.

I have found several pre-printing paper folds in my stamp collecting forays, but never one in a piece of currency. Those also interest me, and I wonder which type are the most valuable, butterfly folds, corner folds, internal folds, etc. 1977A $1 Offset Transfer-a.jpg 1977A $1 Offset Transfer-b.jpg 2006 $1 Offset Transfer-a.jpg 2006 $1 Offset Transfer-b.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Came on a few of these heavy offsets in the 80s (all at the same time). Didn't think anything about it mistakenly thought it was just ink from the next bill and spent them.

Draft saved Draft deleted