offest transfer 1977 A $1

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by reversi, Aug 26, 2016.

1. reversi

reversi New Member

I got this in my change today and was curious about it. Money has always fascinated me but this is the most unique thing i have ever came across. after some research i found its called an offset transfer but was curious if anybody could tell me more about my specific bill. the transfer looks fantastic and it covers the entire front. thank you for looking!

munzzz.jpg

Cmcart, paddyman98 and Dollarsavr like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Wow!! Looks like someone spent a nice bill from somebody's collection.. I'm not sure of the value, but getting it in the wild is nearly impossible, especially considering the series and condition.

reversi likes this.
  4. reversi

reversi New Member

That's pretty cool news! I did get it at chipotle so maybe some kid raided his parents stash for a burrito. If it was common i was going to use it as a bookmark but that plan is out the window now. Thank you for the reply!

5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

No worries.. Try to keep it as flat as possible, last thing you want to do is add anymore creases or folds to it. I'm not a currency collector, but I do know how to handle them. Take it into a local coin chop and get a plastic holder to store it in.

Some of the experts will chime in soon and offer you better information on value and whether or not it would be worth sending in for grading. I know the offset ink transfers can have pretty good premiums.

reversi likes this.
  6. reversi

reversi New Member

Sounds good, i just put it in a book for now until I get some sufficient storage. I guess it can fulfill its original use for a bit lol. It does have a minor vertical crease down the center but other than that its pretty sharp. Can't wait to hear more, this bill turned my routine day into something special so I'm pretty excited to learn about it. Thanks for the advice! Also should i upload a higher res photo? Its pretty detailed, here is a close up.

Attached Files:

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What a great note. Keep it safe. :)

reversi likes this.
  8. reversi

reversi New Member

Thank you I shall! Still very excited about finding this, was thinking today how easily I could have bent it when I put it in my wallet. I didn't actually find it until sorting my money later. Thanks for the reply!

9. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Normally a sheet is fed into the printing press and is physically pressed by an impression cylinder into the inked printing plate to produce the intaglio print. If there is some type of misfeed of the sheet, then the inked plates make direct contact with the impression cylinder and the inked impression of the plate sticks to the impression cylinder. The next sheet fed into the press receives the expected printed image, but the inked image on the impression cylinder is also printed on the opposite side of the sheet. The first few sheets have sharp images and each subsequent sheet eventually removes all the transfer ink on the impression cylinder.

reversi and SteveInTampa like this.
  10. reversi

reversi New Member

Thanks for your more in depth analysis of the error process! When i first got the bill i could not figure out how the print would have been in reverse, best i could come up with was maybe a sheet with wet ink was stacked on top of this one. Then i realized the details were too good for that to be the the case, and with no smudging at all it seemed improbable. Thanks for your reply!

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I purchased one not too long ago and some members warned me about fake Off set transfer currency errors. They can be created using a printer.. I don't totally understand how it's done but they are out there. Best thing to do is to take it to a coin dealer that knows paper currency attribution.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

13. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Is t direct or indirect transfer? Do you know the difference?

14. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

The back is printed first. So an offset transfer back to front would occur at that time.
    If the green offset image on the front is printed below the black, it's likely real. If it's on top, it's likely fake.
    You can also check the back plate numbers. On a real error they will be the same. If they differ, it's a fake.

reversi and paddyman98 like this.
  15. Cmcart

Cmcart Well-Known Member

:cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:Great note

reversi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted