Offer: Attributing of Nikopolis coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jochen1, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Severus Alexander likes this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

GordianIIINicopolisHermes.jpg
    Gordian III. 238-244 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis. Æ (28mm, 13.06 gm, 6h). Sabinius Modestus, consular legate. Obv: Radiate and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Hermes standing left, foot on rock (helmet?; head of Battos?), holding winged caduceus and purse. Varbanov 4203. HrHJ (2018) 8.36.10.2

Ancient Aussie and Bing like this.
  5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

While this coin is Marcianopolis, it may spur discussion on what Hermes has his right foot upon. Very similar Hermes pose, but here his foot clearly rests upon the head of a Ram....not at all Battos. Why the difference?
    PhilipIIMarcianopolisHermes.jpg
    Philip II. As Caesar, 244-247 AD. Æ Pentassarion. MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis. Æ (27mm, 13.79 gm, 2h). Prastinus Messalinus, legatus consularis. Obv: Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip II right, facing draped bust of Sarapis left, wearing kalathos. Rev: Hermes leaning to left, with right foot on ram’s head, drapery on knee; and tortoise, left below, incorrectly described as an overturned jug by Varbanov, and others, with E (mark of value) and caduceus leaning on a tree stump to right. H&J 6.44.10.3 (R5); Varbanov 2107 (R5); AMNG I, 1209.

Marsyas Mike, Ancient Aussie and Bing like this.
  6. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

Dear Pete!

I have been studying this coin for quite some time and have several specimens in my collection in order to study the object under the foot of Hermes as closely as possible. And indeed it bears no resemblance to a ram's head, but could rather be the head of a bearded man. Berendt Pick, author of AMNG, from whom this description comes, was one of the most important and accurate numismatists and an unrivalled role model. He literally writes: "The object on which the god has placed his r. foot looks on all specimens like the head of a bearded man facing to the right; I believe I can recognise the eye and nose myself and consider a coincidence impossible. Argos is probably not to be thought of; but one could perhaps refer the representation to the legend of Battos, though not very widespread, whom Hermes turned into a rock because of his treachery (Ovid Metam. 2, 680-707)."

I have followed this and written an article on it. Please take a look at "Battos - the unfaithful shepherd".

Here is the pic of my coin with the closest resemblance to a head.
    HrHJ(2020)8.36.10.2.jpg
    With kind regards
    Jochen

Marsyas Mike, Bing and PeteB like this.
  7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Hi Jochen:
    Your coin is unarguable!
    Well done!
    Pete

Jochen1 likes this.
  8. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

Hello @Marsyas Mike!

I'm sorry I didn't see your coin until today. Here is my determination:

Nikopolis ad Istrum, Septimius Severus, AD 193-211
    obv. AV L - CEVHROC
    Laureate head r.
    rev. NIKOPOLIT PROC IC
    Volute krater
    ref. a) not in AMNG
    b) not in Varbanov
    c) Hristova/Hoeft/Jekov (2020) 8.14.52.1 (same dies)

Looking at Patricia Lawrence's provisional study "The Auspex Dies for Septimius and Their Unsigned Counterparts at Nicopolis ad Istrum" it is quite possible that the obv of your coin was struck under Auspex.

Best regards
    Jochen

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Jochen - thank you so much! This information is very, very helpful.

This Auspex fellow is new to me - I found quite a bit of stuff online, including Patricia Lawrence's article on the coins: FORVM: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/Auspex_Dies.html

Here is a Wikipedia article on Auspex - it seems he was quite the political/military player - he wasn't a chicken either: "...and even mocked the incoming emperor Septimius Severus when Severus announced his self-adoption into the imperial family of Marcus Aurelius..." Mocking Septimius Severus was probably not a good idea for most people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollienus_Auspex_(consul_under_Marcus_Aurelius)

Here's a Vcoin listing (Incitatus) with more info on Auspex:

"...Struck under Magistrate Pollenius AUSPEX, who apparently had a very brief time in office in the east before being transferred to Britain, where he was Governor from circa 200-205 AD, after Severus' defeat of Clodius Albinus..."

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/in...ortant_historic_type_rare/158774/Default.aspx

Thanks again, @Jochen1 :)

Roman Collector and Jochen1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted