Offer: Attributing of Nikopolis coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jochen1, Mar 6, 2019.

1. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Diadumenian. As Caesar, 217-218 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (26mm, 9.54 gm, 1h). Statius Longinus, legatus consularis. Obv: Bare head, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: Nike standing left, leaning on column to her right, and holding wreath and palm. Varbanov 3742 (R4).
    DiadumenNicopolisNike.jpg

Curtisimo, Orfew, Ryro and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Diadumenian. As Caesar, 217-218 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (26mm, 11.64 gm, 12h). Marcus Claudius Agrippa, consular legate. Obv: Bare-headed, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Nike standing right, holding wreath and palm. Varbanov 3654.
    DiadumenNicopolisNike2.jpg

4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Diadumenian. As Caesar, 217-218 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (27mm, 12.34 gm, 12h). Statius Longinus, legatus consularis. Obv: Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Diadumenian on horseback right, brandishing spear and riding down kneeling enemy with hands upraised pleading for mercy. Varbanov 3711 (R6). DiadumenNicopolisRider.jpg

5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Diadumenian. As Caesar, 217-218 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (27mm, 9.95 gm, 12h). Agrippa, consular legate. Obv: Bare head, right Rev: Tyche standing facing, head right, without kalathos, holding rudder and cornucopia.. Varbanov 3693.
    DiadumenNicopolisTycheFortuna.jpg

6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Diadumenian. As Caesar, 217-218 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (17mm). Obv: Bare head right. Rev: Bunch of grapes.
    DiadumNicopolisGrapes2.jpg
    Edit: Oooops. I don't have the weight at hand.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Elagabalus. 218 - 222 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR. Nicopolis. Æ (25mm, 11.25 gm, 7h). Obv: AVT K M AVPH ANTΩNEINOC, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: VΠA NOB POVΦOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC ICTPO(N), Coiled serpent with radiate, nimbate head left. Varabanov 3883.
    ElagNicopolisSerpent.jpg

Curtisimo, Orielensis, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Gordian III. 238-244 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (28mm, 11.15 gm, 6h). Sabinus Modestus, consular legate. Obv: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: Asklepios standing facing, head left, holding serpent-entwined staff. Varbanov 4167 (same dies as illustrated specimen).
    GordianIIINicopolisAsklepios.jpg

9. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Holy Cow - ask and you shall receive! Great coins!

10. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Here is my humble example from Nikopolis. I hope I got the attribution right – aber wenn Du das bestätigen könntest, Jochen, wäre ich Dir tatsächlich sehr dankbar.

Nikopolis ad Istrum, Elagabalus.png
    Elagabalus, Roman Empire, provincial coin of Moesia Inferior, Nikopolis ad Istrum, moneyer Novius Rufus, AE 27, 218–222 AD. Obv: AV M AVP [ANTΩNINOC], laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Elagabalus right. Rev: VΠ NOBIOV POVΦOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC, eagle standing facing, wings open, head left, wreath in beak, below, ICTRO. 26mm, 13.32g. Ref: AMNG 1993; Moushmov 1433/4. Ex Warren Esty.

11. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Gordian III. 238-244 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis. Æ (28mm, 13.06 gm, 6h). Sabinius Modestus, consular legate. Obv: Radiate and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Hermes standing left, foot on rock(helmet?), holding winged caduceus and purse. Varbanov 4203.
    GordianIIINicopolisHermes.jpg

12. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Gordian III. 238-244 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (28mm, 12.49 gm, 12h). Sabinius Modestus, legatis consularis. Obv:Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Nemesis-Aequitas(?) standing left, holding scales and staff; wheel at her right side. Varbanov 4263? GordianIIINicopolisNemesis.jpg

13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Gordian III. 238-244 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum. Æ (27mm, 12.52 gm, 7h). Obv: Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, wearing a sharp depiction of head of medusa and aegis. Rev: Zeus seated left, holding patera and scepter; eagle before. Mouchmov 1485.; Varbanov 4133. A splendid EF with glossy black patina, but obverse not fully struck-up and shows instructive circular abrasions from a flan smoothing tool, which, except for the punch mark, are usually eliminated by striking.
    GordianIIINicopolisZeus.jpg

Curtisimo, Orielensis, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2019-3-6_21-21-46.jpeg
    RI Diadumenian 217-218 AE26 Nicopolis ad Istrum Homonoia stdg

15. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your overwhelming number of posts. I will work from top to bottom. Please be patient.

Jochen

Alegandron likes this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I disagree. This coin is the type showing Apollo preparing to grab a lizard by slowly creeping up on it. We all did that when I was a boy. The idea was not to kill but to capture and prove you could. There are coins showing the dart pose:
    pi0560b01924lg.jpg

TIF's Caracalla above shows a fine example of Apollo planning to swat the lizard with a leafy branch. I wonder if there were full size statues of each pose in the Nikopolis art museum???

I have several to offer for the project but will have to retrieve the coins from the bank to measure. In most of my collecting life, I recorded weights but not diameter since a little extra hammer strength could produce an AE22 right after an AE20. There are those who say we should always give the maximum diameter while others always measure one direction. I never considered that number as significant.

17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here is one that you may be unfamiliar with. It is not listed in AMNG I, Moushmov, Varbanov, BMC, or Sear Greek Imperial:

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211
    Roman provincial Æ tetrassarion; 26.1 mm, 10.70 g, 6 h
    Moesia Inferior, Nicopolis ad Istrum
    Obv: ΑV ΚΑΙ Λ - CΕ CΕVΗΡΟC, radiate head right
    Rev: ΝEIKOΠΟΛΙ ΠΡΟC ΙCΤΡΩ, Zeus seated left, holding patera (?) and scepter.
    Refs: BMC--; Moushmov--; AMNG I--; SGI--; Varbanov--

It is a die match with this one sold by Naumann.

Severus Nikopolis Zeus tetrassarion 2.jpg

18. Jochen1

Here the 1st series, coins of Pete B:

(1) Antoninus Pius, Apollo Sauroktonos, HrHJ (2018) 8.6.7.3 (same dies): ΝΕΙΚΟΠΟΛEITΩN. I have the same type.

(2) HrHJ (2018) has 12 types listed with different rev. legend variants. Your coin is Commodus, Zeus, HrHJ (2018) 8.10.1.6. I have the same type.

(3) Commodus, Tyche, HrHJ (2018) 8.1038.18 (sane dies), ICCTRO. I have the same type in worse state.

(4) Elagabal, Homonoia, HrHJ (2018) 8.26.36.3 (same dies). I have the same type. I think the rev. legend ends with ICTPΩ.

(5) Elagabal, Zeus, HrHJ (2018) 8.26.1.5 corr. (same dies, but writes AVT M AVPH). I would like to add your coin to Nikopolis Addenda #6.

(6) Gordian III, Tyche, HrHJ (2018) 8.36.38.1 (same dies). I think this is the most beautiful Gordian bust from Nikopolis.

Best regards

TIF, Alegandron and Roman Collector like this.
  19. Jochen1

2nd series, coins of TIF:

(1) Caracalla, Apollo Sauroktonos, HrHJ (2018) 8.18.7.1. I have the same type.

(2) Elagabal, River god. This type is known with 3 different obv.dies. Yours is HrHJ (2018) 8.26.32.3. Falter was a literate scientist. He was responsible too for the renaturalization of the river Isar in München.

(3) Elagabal, Priapos, HrHJ (2018) 8.26.17.1. And, yes, AMNG 20122; Varbanov 3811
    (4) Domna, Priapos, HrHJ (2018) 8.17.17.3, scarce (R6)

(5) Elagabal, Athena, HrHJ (2018) 8.26.4.10. A wonderfull type! I think it is the Erichthonios snake around the tree. I have the same type.

Best regards

TIF and Alegandron like this.
  20. Jochen1

3rd series, Pete B:

(1) Antoninus Pius, wine grapes, HrHJ (2018) 8.6.8.5. I have the same type.

(2) Commodus, Dionysos(?), HrHJ (2018) 8.10.8.3, rare (R8). AVT M AVPH, ΠPOC EICTP. I have the same type. Pick (AMNG) writes: Naming he figure which is cut crude is unsure, because the attributes are blurry. The object going from the r. hand over the shoulder backwards seems to be a long rod and could be a hint to Pan. That would match the peaks which could be seen on the head (on better preserved coins) which rather looks like horns than ties of a wreath.

(3) Severus, bull r., HrHJ (2018) 8.14.53.4 (same dies)

Best regards

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2019
  21. Jochen1

4th series, Ancient Aussie:

(1) Severus, city gate, HrHJ (2018) 8.14.46.4, scarce (R6)

(2) Gordian III, city gate, HrHJ (2018) 8.36.46.1. Nice coin!

(3) Elagabal, temple, HrHJ (2018) 8.26.46.15. I have the same type. Pick (AMNG) takes the cult statue for Serapis.

Best regards

Ancient Aussie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted