Off topic. Just getting over 5-6 days of food poisoning.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HAB Peace 28 2.0, Mar 20, 2019.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

When it comes to food I’m much less of a risk taker than I used to be. Back in 2000 I was on a trip to the Caucasus in southern Russia and ate some local food at a street stall up in the mountains. That earned me a 2 week stay in the hepatitis ward at the Botkin Hospital for Infectious Diseases in St. Petersburg. My ward had a lot of heroin addicts with Hep B and C and also my room came with a view across the courtyard of the HIV ward. It was only a couple steps up from being a star on “Locked Up Abroad”. So folks, if the food doesn’t look or smell right, don’t eat it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

This is interesting. Never knew you could get it from a potato. Never knew that if it started sprouting it was going bad.

Short uneventful potato story of my own... Last year we had some baked potatoes for dinner. Baked in the oven, wrapped in foil. One extra. I stuck it in the fridge. I didn't get back around to it till maybe 3 weeks later? Mightve almost been 4. I was hungry and wanted to eat it. It didn't smell bad. I re-heated it and ate it. Nothing happened from it didn't get sick. Tasted the same as the first night.

Don't get me wrong, I normally do not do this. I tend to air on the side of caution. Idk why I wanted to take a gamble with the potato but I won. lol!

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

My family either has really strong constitutions or really good luck. I keep things a lot longer in the fridge than I'm supposed to.

My daughter made some bread a week or two ago, using up the last of our buttermilk. I knew it had been in there for a while. I checked the date on the bottle when I was rinsing it out for recycling: April 3. "Hey," I yelled to my wife, "this one was just about to come around again!"

Yes, it had been in the fridge for over a year... and was still recognizably milk, and didn't make any of us sick.

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Surprisingly to most people, baked potatoes are one of the top offenders for food poisoning, especially when baked and kept in foil. Basically, because potatoes are grown in soil, the can contain botulism spores. Those are baked in foil which does not kill the spores but provides a good environment for them. But the real danger comes in holding them at room temperature for certain lengths of time and then serving them, perhaps after reheating. So if it was botulism it may have been a case where the food had been improperly stored after the first baking.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  6. -jeffB

Never even thought of that -- I was focusing on solanine poisoning. I'm a little surprised that a foil wrap would be airtight enough to let botulinum grow, but not skeptical enough to experiment.

7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Potatoes baked in foil properly and eaten right away should not be a problem. But holding them in foil, especially at room temp for lengths of time or even refrigerated in foil is bad. Toxins are released and can be deadly. Never eat a potato still wrapped in foil if it has not been cooked/baked for the first time and within the past hour in that foil.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Skip the foil put it right on the oven rack, not worth it

9. -jeffB

After you first... nah, turning this one into a recipe thread probably isn't the best idea.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You know how many people get food poisoning from a home cooked meal? :)

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's because we all know the best potato recipe is fried :D

gronnh20 and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted