Off struck Lincoln cen't %?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pocket*change*anonymous*, Aug 12, 2018.

1. 20180727_155029.jpg found this in a box of pennies, wondering if anyone would know the amount of %its off? Any feedback would be helpful thank you
    John

Swan, Bambam8778, Michael K and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Just a guess id say at least 70 percent.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great find for a box! After searching over $15k of cents, I have only managed to find 2 off-centers. Neither as far off as yours.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I don't see how that can make it into a modern box of cents, much less a machine to put it into a roll.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Neither do I. Perhaps someone can explain in detail exactly how this could have happened?

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Easy.. You don't and it doesn't.. Most likely purchased.

MontCollector likes this.
  9. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

OP said they found it in a box of pennies(sic), does not necessarily mean a $25 box from a bank...

Op, there is no standard, you just guess, I would say 75%, cool coin.

10. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

That was in a box of pennies? In a $25 bank box or just a regular box of unrolled pennies?

It’s an amazing coin but did you actually find that in circulation? Such a dramatic error would stand out like a sore thumb.

11. BooksB4Coins

Thanks, Beef, but I can't help but to wonder if you've ever tried to roll up an off-center? I once did and wasn't able to do so even when going out of my way to see if it could be done with either pre-rolled/crimped tubes, bank flat wraps, or even unrolled machine paper. Of course there may be other options and my experience doesn't prove it impossible, but does suggest it highly unlikely.

Still, perhaps the OP or furry can shed more light upon the issue?

beef1020 likes this.
  12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I found my off-centers and also a partial brockage that were larger in diameter than a normal cent all in MWR rolls. With the partial brockage, you could actually see part of it pushing through the paper in the roll. Not sure how OP's would make it into a roll given its shape but I wouldn't count it outside the realm of possibility.

13. BooksB4Coins

Thanks for the explanation. Aside from the fact there's no reason to doubt you, everything you've said makes reasonable sense.

Unfortunately, unless the OP provides further details and/or someone can present a case showing the possibility, I'm going to have to go with experience here. I've seen many odd things stuffed into rolls from cents in a dime roll to foreign coins to a quarter eagle, but this one just isn't adding up. JMHO of course.

14. The roll I pulled put of the box had a large bulge with a slight rip. Wish it had a date.

15. Got 50$ from my local bank, I was very surprised when it wasn't a coin that had just been damaged

USCoinCollector42 likes this.
  16. I will post a pic of obv, I have only been coin roll hunting for about 2 years, but with the amount of boxes I've farmed, I've be fortunate to find all that I have. I'm sure I'll end up posting everyday

17. BooksB4Coins

What type of roll (wrapper) was it?

Draft saved Draft deleted