Off Center Strike Indian Head Help?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 2MuchStuff, Jan 12, 2019.

1. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

Hey y'all,

I found a very strange Indian Head in coins that my father had left me. It has great detail, but each side has only approximately 1/2 of what should be there. The date is not on it. Any ideas as to whether or not this coin is valuable? Thank you for any info.
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Variety Collector

Off center strike dateless. Mint Error coin.

2MuchStuff likes this.
  4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Professional Teenager

Can't say an exact value here. But I know that collectors pay more for an off center with a date.

2MuchStuff and Paddy54 like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Variety Collector

That is correct and one reason I didn't value the specimen.

2MuchStuff likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball Cannot Re-Member

Your dateless IHC appears to be 40-45% O/C. Perhaps @Fred Weinberg can give you a ballpark figure since it is uncertified.

Chris

2MuchStuff likes this.
  7. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Active Member

This is the closest I could find to yours on ebay's sold listings. I think yours may grade a touch higher, but this is close to the value I believe.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Off-Center-Undated-Indian-Cent-appx-60-Off-Center-Error-/192744041440?hash=item2ce070abe0:g:aTgAAOSwLeFcApPY&nma=true&si=aQs%2Fw3%2Fj0Rele8QlyE0uCy4sfYE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I just noticed that I have bought from that seller. One of the nicest people I have dealt with on ebay. BTW

2MuchStuff likes this.
  8. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Boy, that's a nice coin for the collection! Glad for your sake that your father kept that!

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 No Common Cents! Supporter

Off-Center Strike Indian Head Cents are rare to find. They do carry a large premium with or without the date.. I like it!

These are examples of 3 minor Off-Center errors for sale on Sullivan Numismatics https://sullivannumismatics.com/mint-error/cents
    sull.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  10. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

Thank you everyone for the info posts. I had not realized that a coin like this would be so appealing. Here are some pics with better detail. DSC03463.JPG
    DSC03466.JPG DSC03469.JPG DSC03469.JPG

Bambam8778, Swan, Heavymetal and 2 others like this.
  11. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

Wow! Really nice coin.

Probably worth upwards of $150 if you can find the right buyer.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Keep it protected in a plastic slip or plastic capsule so it isn’t damaged. Also maybe look into having it graded by one of the reputable TPGs (PCGS, NGC, etc).

2MuchStuff likes this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I think one of the reasons it is so appealing is because the % off center is so large.
    I think it's around 50% and most will be in the 10% area.

2MuchStuff likes this.
  13. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Really neat coin, I enjoy seeing these

2MuchStuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted