Off-center nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jaelus, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I picked up this extremely off-center nickel recently. For those more knowledgeable with this type of error than I am, what's going on on the reverse? I would have expected the reverse die to have made contact, but clearly it did not.

20181215_225451.jpg
    20181215_225502.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What occurred was that the Obverse Die struck the now Obverse side to show IN GOD and the Reverse side was sitting on top of another Blank Planchet so the Reverse Die left no image. Hence the slight spreading of the metal due to it being force on the other Planchet.

It is now an Off-Center Uniface Strike

Quote "It shows an unusual degree of expansion, due either to elevated ram pressure or an unusually small minimum die clearance. The slide zone in this “stretch strike” is correspondingly wide." closed quote

bsting, JCro57, ken454 and 1 other person like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here are examples from my collection -
    3443070-009+1.JPG 3443070-010+1.JPG

5. Jaelus

Very interesting. Thanks. That makes sense.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Jaelus

Nice examples. Is this type of error rare enough to warrant slabbing my example, or does more of the design or date need to be showing?

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If it were mine I'd have it slabbed just because. Not sure if it's worth it but I'd do it to get proper documentation.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It will cost you considerably more to have it slabbed than the coin is worth

Jaelus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted