Of Chins and Antennas to Heaven - A theory-busting Gadhaiya

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, May 19, 2021.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I have too many Gadhaiyas.

One of the main focuses of my collection has been trying to sort out the intermediate evolution of this series (specifically from series 1.2 to series 1.3). After studying enough coins, I thought I finally had it all sorted out, based on two distinctive features

At the end of Series 1.2, the flan has already shrunk from the wide fabric typical of Sassanian and central Asian coins to about 16mm, smaller than a US dime, and more in line with a Greek drachm.
    ZomboDroid 25052020093238.jpg

Important features to note here are that the nose, lips, chin, and beard all blend seamlessly as a row of dots that wraps around the head, and the flame of the fire altar ends as it bumps against the border of the die, without any special decorative elements.

Initially thinking that series 1.3 jumped straight from here, I became aware of a further development, now nearly reaching the head shape of series 1.3. Note that an additional dot has been added above the fire altar, but the chin is still detached from the head

ZomboDroid 26052020214734.jpg

Then enter series 1.3 - at the beginning we see the stylish boomerang-shaped head (I imagine that the ruler who issued these looked not unlike Nerva), but the chin is suddenly attached to the head, and the lips and nose have changed shape. There is still an additional dot above the fire altar, however
    ZomboDroid 28022020152328.jpg

Then - Viola! the extra dot becomes a vertical line up to the heavens.
    ZomboDroid 29052020125319.jpg

I thought I had finally cracked the code - as no coin from series 1.2 (with detached chin) had displayed the vertical line, and this early type of series 1.3 existed both with and without the vertical line, and so must be the immediate successor to 1.2.

Then this showed up on eBay...

ZomboDroid 17052021165331.jpg

This one has a clearly detached chin, intermediate dot-like lips, a crescent nose, and a pretty unambiguous vertical line above the fire!

Perhaps "just barbarous" or else the tip of a bigger iceberg....?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Finn235......Must admit the overall style does look off....
    Dot shapes not particularly round and although the main features are there thay aren't well executed and in general look sloppy!....My thoughts are it's an unofficial coin...Very interesting find!!
    Here's a coin from my collection showing the features at the top of the altar..
    GAD17 BLACK.jpg

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If this thread is confusing to any of our newer members, I suggest they visit an earlier thread of Finn235 that helps introduce the subject.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/indo-sassanian-the-evolution-of-the-gadhaiya-paisa.348516/

These coins were (at least before Covid) relatively common as a group but containing many variations that were quite rare. The coins were not expensive compared to other chunks of silver of their size and provided a field of study new to most of us (certainly to me). Thanks to Finn for the update.

In 2011, I posted the image below on my page on the subject. I have learned nothing since but am glad to see someone working on the series.
    [​IMG]

5. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Very interesting @Finn235! I don't know much about ancients but it was fun following along with your analysis of each coins progression :)

Finn235 likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Thank you @Finn235 . I need to study these more. I have purchased them over time, liking them how they are further derivatives of other Central Asian coins I own. I really like the C and D larger sized pieces from Doug's list above.

One question. How much do you think we can chase down these progressions in light that each die was cut by hand, by definition creating variations? Could some of this "wobble" simply be due to die maker variations?

Finn235 likes this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Thanks all!

@Spaniard shows a great example of the perfectly "average" example of the middle of Series 1.3 - this vertical line is present on probably 95% of all of this series, is universally present on the next Series 1.4 (the "normal" Gadhaiya), and the recent hoard has me believe that it is likely also present on the late Series 1.5. This example is the sole specimen that otherwise fits in series 1.2 but shows the line.

@dougsmit - Thanks for sharing! Your page is what originally got me started collecting these, after I found a couple in a mixed junk lot and found myself hooked.

@medoraman, Good question. The great thing about these is that even though almost every example is unique, the variations aren't as wild as barbarous Roman coins, for example. It's almost as if they had a strict set of requirements that each coin had to meet. Perhaps the best example is 1.3.1 versus 1.3.2 - on paper, it's tough to articulate, but I feel that the differences are fairly apparent, and close enough to separate them into discrete series

ZomboDroid 15042021223052.jpg ZomboDroid 23032021143423.jpg imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-7Nn0ZZlJ8BEsfAd.jpg ZomboDroid 29052020125818.jpg ZomboDroid 28022020152328.jpg

ZomboDroid 29052020215518.jpg ZomboDroid 01062020124646.jpg ZomboDroid 01062020124353.jpg ZomboDroid 01062020124742.jpg ZomboDroid 01062020124957.jpg

8. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Finn235....The last two examples are really interesting! Showing the nose almost vertical, running pretty much smoothly down from the forehead...I don't have one of this type and will certainly keep my eyes open for an example......Thanks for sharing Paul.

Draft saved Draft deleted