# of ancient coin dealers at major shows?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curio Bill, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Curio Bill

Curio Bill Junior Member

How many ancient coin dealers can you reasonably expect to appear at major shows? Particularly the FUN show in Orlando, the ANA Money shows and the upcoming Chicago show? I went to my first major show in Chattanooga last month, but there were only 3 dealers with any emphasis on ancients out of 100-150 dealers!! I want to find "bargain bins" of byzantines!!!!
    Thanks, Bill

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

For the big state shows I would say 3 is about it (coming off the fact that MSNS only has 2-4 per show)

For ANA, I would assume more, but I'm not sure.

stainless

4. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

The shows that I go to usually have 150 dealers, and about 4 of them sell ancients. At least one of them always does have a "bargain bin" though.

5. There were I believe 4 at CoinFest in October

6. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Stainless, is that a NORFED coin you are using as an avatar ???? Pretty Neat !!!! Here is mine. Traci :kewl:

Attached Files:

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Seek and ye shall find.

Again, as noted, at the MSNS with 150 dealers, we will have four or five with ancients -- Pegasi, Beach, First Light, Zauche, Weiss are regulars. But in addition, others may well attend: Waddell and Singer showed up once, and Wayne Sayles made a show.

MSNS publishes its list of attending dealers. If the other show websites do not, feel free to ask the Show who is coming. You can always email or call someone via Contact Information.

With the ANA, the proportions are about the same, but the numbers are larger. At the ANA, you will have an "ancients and foreigns" aisle or area with a dozen or more tables.

FUN is about between the ANA and MSNS; Central States is similar.

Also, consider that the NYINC -- New York Internatioanal Numismatic Convention -- specifically draws dealers from across the Big Pond.

Finally, realize that you never know who has what. Sometimes dealers of US will acquire ancients along the way and then bring them to a show.

8. conderluva

conderluva Junior Member

I wasn't looking for ancients at all but there were definitely many more than 4 at the Baltimore Whitman Coin expo a few weeks ago.

9. Curio Bill

Curio Bill Junior Member

Many, Many Thanks to you all, I am REALLY trying to arrange for a Chicago International Coin Show trip this April!!

Can anyone tell me how the Chicago show compares to the NYINC???

Draft saved Draft deleted