...Of 3rd Century...Gallic Caesars...Tetricus ll

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Dec 8, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...Just got this in tonite.. the last couple of years here purchasing coins, in the last few days of the year, i've been like a sprinter in the last lap before race is over(but i start out slow:p)...its my 'new & improved' Tetricus ll...i'd bought a coin of Tetricus from a seller who had listed it as a Salonnius...it was less worn. but had no legend and thought while studying it 'thats the best Salonnius bronze i ever saw'..but right after i paid for it and it was on its way here, i knew something didn't add up, the reverse lQQked Gallic for sure, and it came to me that it wasn't what they'd said it was...i corrected them and the seller didn't offer a discount, so i sent it back and bought this one for about 1/5 the price from another seller, so i am elated!..:)

POST YOUR COINS & OR COMMENTS PEEPS :) Tetricus ll 001.JPG Tetricus ll 002.JPG Tetricus ll antoninianus, circa 273 AD, Priestly implements 17mm, 2.16gms

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not very well made or preserved coins for Tetricus II Tetricus II 2.jpg Tetricus II 1.jpg Tetricus II 4.jpg

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Don't currently have a Tetricus II but I am hoping to rectify that in the next hour or so... :)

Edit: and I didn’t. I hate those last second snipers. Oh well. Next time.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    ominus1 likes this.
  5. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

I have one that isn't barbarous...

upload_2020-12-9_1-25-11.png
    Tetricus II Antoninianus, Cologne, 273-274. C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES. SPES AVGG (RIC 270).

This is from the 1973 Beachy Head hoard. At least five hoards from the mid third and early fourth centuries have been found at Beachy Head (700 in 1879, 2,000 in 1899, 5,000 in 1961, 3,000 in 1964 and 3,000 in 1973).

1961 and 1964 were found by the same farmer while ploughing a field. 1973 was found in a bronze bucket with a metal detector near the same spot. 2,156 of 3,000 were of Tetricus I or II. The lack of unofficial coins and final Cologne and Trier issues suggests an early burial date of 273.

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Tetricus II officials tend to have the WORST WORN OUT dies I’ve ever seen. So many have just about nothing left in that beat to heck reverse die.

obv is often alright, but rev is tough

7. furryfrog02

Very nice! I was just bidding on a Rockbourne Hampshire Hoard Tetricus II with a Spes reverse. Didn’t win though.

ominus1 and John Conduitt like this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Coin shop purchase... remember those?
    Screenshot_20200919-191325_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

9. hotwheelsearl

Here's a standard dead-die reverse example (although Obv isnt that much better). Honestly though, what's that reverse? Could be just about anything with that amount of die wear

Tetricus II RIC 272 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

And heres an imitation of what I believe is RIC 248
    Tetricus II RIC 248 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

ancientone, Bing, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Everybody has a Tetricus II with a Spes reverse.

Tetricus II SPES AVGG.jpg Tetricus II SPES AVGG Sulzer listing.JPG

11. furryfrog02

ominus1 and Roman Collector like this.
  12. ominus1

..that's right...keep huntin' my friend...i looked for one ever since i got his dads coin...they're out there:watching: :)

Roman Collector and furryfrog02 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

I don't have his dad either. I know they are notoriously poorly struck and I would like one that is at least decent enough to read the legends. The hunt continues.

Roman Collector and ominus1 like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Papa Tetricus
    Tetricus I 4.jpg Tetricus I 2.jpg Tetricus I 5.jpg

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

TETRICUS II
    [​IMG]
    RI Tetricus II 273-274 CE BI Ant SPES w Flower

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Here's the Tetricus II from my old collection. The strike is quite incomplete, and yet the portions that did get struck look pretty sharp. A tapered flan, perhaps? Or was it die wear, as mentioned in previous posts? Dunno, but it was a cool-looking coin, and rather inexpensive.

[​IMG]

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Perhaps this is out of place here but since the first coin was supposed to be a Saloninus bronze I'll point out that his bronzes are completely different in fabric than either his antoniniani or those of Tetricus. They are asses, thick and heavy having the expected SC on the reverse. They are scarce compared to antoniniani. This as has the PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS reverse and bare headed portrait.
    rp1790fd0328.jpg

Of all rulers, IMHO, Tetricus II is the hardest to draw a line separating the sloppiest of the official issues and the best of the barbarous radiates. The coins shown above include both types as I see it but I am not comfortable in every case stating what I think. Below are two I find obvious.
    official
    rr2065bb3079.jpg

barbarous (reverse is mirrored including the legend)
    rr2080bb1422.jpg

18. ominus1

well, here's what threw me originally on the 1st Tetricus ll(they were calling Salonnius) ...they had it listed with a coin of Salonnia...my 1st thought was it maybe was an overstrike ...buy yeah, i couldn't totally accept it being Salonnius..ya know, those nagging doubts, which turned out to be validated..:) unnamed.jpg

19. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's my Tetricus II...the reverse leaves a lot to be desired.

tetricus1.jpg

tetricus2.jpg

20. ominus1

21. hotwheelsearl

Was gonna day, sharp strike for sure!

ominus1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted