..Of 3rd century emperors...Valerian l antoninianus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Jun 4, 2020.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Clipboard17~0.jpg Valerian Antoninianus, 254-255 AD. Diana
    Obv: IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG, Radiate, draped bust right.
    Rev: FELICITAS SAECVLI. Diana advancing right, holding torch with two hands.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No, the coin shows a wreath. Slavery came later.

It is never hard to find a coin worth $17.xx offered for $151. The trick is to find coins worth $151 or $17.xx for their respective prices. We should not expect to get $151 coins for $17.xx. The old saying was, "You get what you pay for." We at least have to add, "...if you are lucky." You did well. Mine was $22. I did well, too. I'm having trouble envisioning one of these worth $151.

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Some nice examples in the thread. I've always thought it's quite difficult to find good style portraits on Valerianus' antoniniani. When one finds one, they must grab it very quickly

[​IMG]
    Valerian, Antoninianus - Rome mint, AD 253-255
    IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    FIDES MILITVM, Fides Militum standing left, holding two standards
    3.66 gr
    Ref : RCV # 9938(45), Cohen # 65

Q

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..well me also.. i figure the seller was kinda like Ilya...:)

Romancollector likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..congratulations @Roman Collector ..you just gave me my 10,000th 'like'..:)....come by and get your free coin :D

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

@Cucumbor is right fine style portraits of Valerian on antoninianii are quite difficult to come by. I very much regret not buying a particular example at the last coin show I attended prior to COVID. It was truly FDC....fine style, perfectly struck and lustrous. I don't remember the specific coin, but I do remember that it was from a Western mint. I hesitated because it was around $250, which is far lower than the average that I spend on coins, but I thought it was absurd for Valerian. I have not seen a comparable example in auctions or on Vcoins since that show and I can kick myself for not buying it. Oh well...lesson learned I guess! :(

9. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Valerian coins are interesting not only for the history behind the man himself, but also the incredible variation in the portrait styles.

This is my current "portrait" example, although the reverse die was sadly a few thousand strikes past its lifespan. The Rome mint I think accurately portrays an emperor in his sixties.
    Valerian Fides Militvm.jpg

Here are two others I got in mixed lots and couldn't let go. Unsure of the mint on either so I would welcome any ideas.

Here he is markedly younger, seemingly in his 30s or 40s ZomboDroid 16082019125234.jpg

Here he seems a lot older, almost reminiscent of Galba in a way, as the skin around his neck/chin is visibly sagging. ZomboDroid 16082019124707.jpg

Still on the lookout for a decent sestertius without breaking the banks - those have the best portraiture of all!

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Not all by any means; this is not all that decent but it was what I got when I was looking.
    rp1530bb0770.jpg

11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

True, but the middle bronzes, if you're lucky enough to find one aren't bad either !

[​IMG]
    Valerian, As - Rome mint, AD 255-258
    IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding thunderbolt and scepter. S - C in field
    10.0 gr
    Ref : RCV # 10032, Cohen # 96

Q

Marsyas Mike, Bing, paschka and 5 others like this.
  12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

In the coin I posted on page 1 of this thread, you can see both a double chin and a receding hairline.

13. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Some nice examples shown on this thread......Interesting how the portrait styles differ.....I have one Antoninianus but I didn't buy it for the portrait more for the animalistic rendition of Felicitas...
    normal_valerian.jpg
    Valerian I AR Antoninianus.Rome AD 255-256 ...2.93g
    Obverse..IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS PF AVG, radiate, draped bust right
    Reverse..FELICITAS AVGG, Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopiae.
    RIC 87, Cohen 55; Sear 9936.

Draft saved Draft deleted