...Of 3rd Century emperors...Florian..

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Nov 19, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

This coin marks my zenith on 3rd century emperors, but by no means the summit (missing 4 coins of the "year of the six", Gordian l, ll, Balbinus- Pupenius and one of the usurper Aemilianus ..and maybe Amandus?!? who knows??:rolleyes:), I feel its quite complete for me for now.(i do have a line on a Balbinus.Gll and even a repro of Amandus:p). I made it my mission this year to try & get'em all that I could and now I shall rest...on emperors anyway, I've still a couple Caesars to go and maybe an empress or two, but not many....i'll show ya..:)

POST YOUR COINS & COMMENTS PEEPS! :) Florian 002.JPG Florian 003.JPG Florian 004.JPG Emperor Florianus(July-September 276) antoninianus, Felicitas reverse, Ticinum(?) mint. 22mm, 2.80gms

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Nice acquisition @ominus1 . Here is my Florian with his TWIN...Tacitus !

DFF4CABB-80E9-4875-BA61-4F8FA09611DD.jpeg
    7A9C33CA-8A9D-428A-A756-40D220831200.jpeg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done, @ominus1 The Abominable Snowman! You are gettin a bunch! Congrats...

FLORIANUS

[​IMG]
    FLORIAN
    AE 23mm 3.54g Antoninian/Aurelian (VF, patina, deposits)
    AV: IMP C M AN FLORIANVS P AVG; radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from rear bust r.
    REV: CONCORD MILIT; Emperor togate stg. r., clasping the hand of Concordia stg. l.
    IN EXE: S
    REF: LV 2738; RIC V-1 57var (unlisted bust type), RIC Online #4294 7 specs listed, only one in La Venera, and only 2 from prior sales; 1st issue for Siscia mint, 2nd officina, july-august 276AD.
    A rare coin from a very brief reign, as Florian has only reigned for a couple of moths in the summer of 276AD.
    Ex: @seth77

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Always a joy to expand one's collection, @ominus1! Way to go!

Florian:

[​IMG]
    Florian, AD 276.
    Roman billon Aurelianus, 3.28 g, 21.2 mm, 12 h.
    Cyzicus, officina 3; issue 1, AD 276.
    Obv: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, Bust right, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum.
    Rev: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Victory stg. r., holding wreath in r. hand and palm against l. shoulder, facing Emperor in military dress stg. l., r. hand outstretched and holding long sceptre in l. hand; T in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 116; MER/RIC temp #4530; Cohen 15; CBN 1982-3; RCV 11853; Hunter 20.

Florian Schneider:

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

those are some nice Florians...from my experience, i'm sure they cost a purdy penny...and now i'm realizing MOST ALL of the 'emperors' were usurpers in this century and became 'legal' later..oh boy...:bookworm:

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

florian 2.jpg
    FLORIANUS
    Silvered Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum bust r
    REVERSE: CONCORDIA MILITVM; Victory stg. r., holding wreath in r. hand and palm against l. shoulder, facing Emperor in military dress stg. l., r. hand outstretched and holding long sceptre in l. hand Q in ex.
    Struck at 4th officina, Cyzicus mint, July-August 276AD.
    4.4g, 20mm
    RIC V-1 116, RIC Online #4533
    Florianus1.jpg
    FLORIANUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP FLORIANVS AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Victory standing right presenting wreath to Florian standing left. Q in ex.
    Struck at Cyzicus, 276 AD
    2.9g, 21mm
    RIC 116q

Draft saved Draft deleted