..Of 3rd Century Emperors...Carus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Nov 10, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

After losing out on many coins in little better shape that $40(+shipping) couldn't touch..i got this lil jewel for 10 bucks delivered...i can live with that! :)...emperor Carus, killed by a lighting strike according to history/legend, dawned the purple at 60 in 282, last job being prefect of Probus's praetorian guard.(did he kill him? its according who you ask) He's credited with adding stability to the crumbling empire with his victories and sons dynasty, however short-lived. Histories are conflicting in these times to say the least..

POST YOUR COINS N COMMENTS PEEPS!:)

Carus 008.JPG Carus 007.JPG Carus antoninianus, 282-283 Ob: Emperor Bust right with radiate crown and cuirassed, IMP C MARVR CAVS P F AVG. Rv: IOVI VICTORI, Jupiter left facing holding Victory with eagle at feet, BKA(Rome mint) at bottom.
    22mm 3.19gms

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

$10? Nice! Here's my one coin of Old Baldy:

Carus, silvered AE Antoninianus, 283 AD, Antioch Mint (1st Officina) Obv. Radiate bust right, IMP C M AVR CARVS PF AVG/ Rev. VIRTUS AVGGG, Carus, standing right, receives Victory from Jupiter standing left, holding long scepter, star in upper field, A in lower middle field (= 1st Officina, Antioch Mint), XXI in exergue. RIC V-2 125(A), Sear RCV III 12190, ERIC II 141, Cohen 117. 20.25 mm., 3.59 g.

Carus denarius jpg version.jpg
    How many other emperors showed a similar lack of vanity in allowing themelves to be portrayed with such a receding hairline? Off the top of my head, I suppose that Vespasian is one. According to Lindsey Davis's stand-alone novel Master and God, Domitian was so vain that he wore an elaborate toupee to cover his pate. I have read that Julius Caesar was similarly self-conscious about his baldness.

dlhill132, Alegandron, Ryro and 10 others like this.
  4. ominus1

..haha! yeah, he's one of the few who on coins showed a 'receding' hairline that's for sure! ><...good one Donna!:D

DonnaML likes this.
  5. ominus1

..pun there intended?!?...:D

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Of course.

hotwheelsearl and ominus1 like this.
  7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice bargain to me! Have walked away empty handed from quite a few auctions this year.
    Carus Restitutor.jpg
    Carus, silvered Ӕ Antoninianus, Siscia, AD 282-283
    Obv: IMP C M AVR CARVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: RESTITVT ORBIS, female standing right, presenting wreath to emperor, standing left holding globe and scepter; star above P between, XXI in exergue
    Ref: RIC 106

Alegandron, Ryro, Spaniard and 9 others like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I never was able to get very interested in Carus and family probably because of the lack of what I considered special types compared to all those of Probus and Diocletian. My reverses are mostly just 'someone standing there'.

This Virtus seems to have more 'forehead' than many.
    rs3080b02042alg.JPG
    This Victory stands out with a globe flanked by two seated figures.
    rs3130bb1697.jpg

Consecration coins are unusual during this period and this one for Carus (altar reverse) stands out for the obverse legend DIVO CARO PARTHICO.
    rs3135fd0225.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Ryro, Spaniard and 10 others like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice buy for $10, @ominus1.

Mine has a bit of shine bouncing off the top of that head.

carus500.jpg
    DIVUS CARUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.54g, 22.6mm. Rome mint, AD 283. RIC 47; Cohen 15. O: DIVO CARO, radiate bust right. R: Eagle with spread wings facing front, head left; KAA in exergue.
    Ex Old Sable Collection, Gorny & Mosch Auction 215, Lot 425; ex Rauch 87 (2010), lot 816

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Carus:

[​IMG]
    Carus, AD 282-283.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.46 g, 21.1 mm, 1 h.
    Ticinum, 1st officina, 2nd emission, AD 282.
    Obv: IMP CARVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: PAX EXERCITI, Pax standing left, holding branch and signum; PXXI in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 75F; Cohen 56; RCV --; Pink VI/2, p. 28.

11. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

How about an Alexandrian coin of baldy?!
    Carus_4460_High.JPG
    Emmett 3996

12. EDDOP

EDDOP Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

RIC 29k
    DIVO CARO PIO Radiate head right
    CONSECRATIO Eagle standing left, looking right
    Lugdunum Carus
    Exe. I

21mm, 3.95gr, Die 180

10th emission end 284

13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

14. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Carus..... As we know he died suddenly whilst on campaign against the Sassanid king Barham II, and is said to have been struck by lightning. Ironically the obverse of this coin shows a ray of silver wash flashing down to the head of Carus....and reduced his hairline at the same time...
    Carus AE Antoninianus.AD282-283
    Obverse..IMP C M AVR CARVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse..PAX AVGG, Pax standing left, holding branch and transverse sceptre; B in left field.
    RIC V-2, 13; Sear 12173.
    carus black.jpg

15. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Carus , AE Antoninianus. Rome mint, struck under Carinus and/or Numerian, 283-285 AD. RIC 48
    DIVO CARO PERS(icvs), radiate head right / CONSECRATIO, eagle standing left, head right. Mintmark KA crescent A.
    21 mm / 2.8 g
    carus  (2).jpg

16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Nice bald eagle on the cheap!
    Mine was around the same price point:D
    Screenshot_20200919-193556_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

SCREAMIN' deal, @ominus1 ! Well done!

My only Carus:

upload_2020-11-12_8-28-21.png
    RI Carus 282-283 CE AE 18mm BI Tet Consecratio Flaming Alter Divus Carus under Carinus R2
    Ex: @Valentinian

18. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I bought this one because some of the Carus, Lugdunum - issue 1 portraits look like Probus from Issue 9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    before his hair was shown as receding (with a different more rounded shape)
    [​IMG]
    so cover it up with a helmet
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted