...Of 3rd Century...Caesars...Valerian ll....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Aug 19, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i'm having a hard time staying in one or two rabbit holes..this 3rd century emperor gig just let me down a couple of others...but that's ok..its all connected...:)...Valerian's mother, Salonnia, had bad forbodings on her eldest son and the situtation Gallenius put him in..i would reckon maybe she had something to do with these type coins of her eldest son.

POST YER COINS N COMMENTS PEEPS! :) Valerian ll 002.JPG Valerian ll 003.JPG Valerian ll(Caesar 256-258) AR(?) Antoninianus, Valerian ll bust right obverse, child Zeus sitting on goat goddess foster mother/nurse Amalthea reverse. 21mm 2.96gms, Cologne mint

dlhill132, octavius, singig and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Purdy nice coin! Ya dun guuud, @ominus1 ! I really like that reverse... very very cool...

Here is my only Valerian II... boring. But, HEY! VII was purdy boring, too!

[​IMG]
    RI Valerian II 256-258 CE Silvered Ant PRINCIP IVVENTVS

octavius, singig, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  4. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

RIP Little Valerian II. You may have been ugly but gone too soon.... WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!
    ValerianIIRIC24.jpg

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Like that goat! Nice portrait, too.

Here are a couple from my old novice Roman collection of 2007-08.

Valerian II
    [​IMG]

Salonina
    [​IMG]

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

.png
    VALERIANVS CAES - Radiate and draped bust of Valerian II right /
    IOVI CRESCENTI - child Jupiter riding right on the goat Amalthea, looking left, right hand raised, left hand holding goat´s horn
    Antoninianus, Lugdunum or Cologne (?), late 256- early 258
    RIC 3, Göbl/MIR 907e, Elmer 67a, Sear 10731

The goat Amalthea had been born as nymph and lived on the island of Crete. When she and some other nymphs were playing at a creek, they heard a baby cry in a cave at Mount Ida. They immediately went into the cave and Amalthea was holding and consoling the newborn boy, when his mother returned.
    This was Rhea, wife of the Titan Kronos. Kronos had been prophesied that one of his children would thrust him from the throne, and therefore had devoured all the children his wife had given him. When one day Rhea had realized that she was pregnant again, she had decided to flee and hide. But Kronos quickly became suspicious and searched for her everywhere, and soon stood in front of the cave and demanded that Rhea deliver the child to him. Rhea handed him a stone wrapped in bloody diapers, which Kronos devoured immediately. He then asked Rhea to come with him immediately. She accompanied him for a while, then pretended to be weak from birth, let Kronos go ahead, and ran back.
    When she found her little son save and sound in the caring arms of the young nymph, Rhea asked her to look after little Zeus and turned her into a divine goat so she could feed the child with milk, ambrosia, and nectar.
    She called the beautiful white goat „Amaltheia“, which in Greek means "divine white goat". Amalthea suckled the child with her milk. From their horns, Zeus drank nectar and ambrosia. In addition, a swarm of bees brought him mountain honey.
    One day, when littlle Zeus cried, Kronos became suspicious and wanted to know who caused the noise in the cave. As he could not enter because he was too tall, he could only stick his head in the mouth of the cave. But before his eyes had grown accustomed to the darkness, Amalthea jumped up and gave him a huge blow with her horns. Amalthea lost one of her horns during this thrust. This horn was later known as the cornucopia. It kept filling up with what its owner wanted.
    Thanks to Amalthea's care, Zeus soon became so strong that he was able to oust the mighty Kronos from his throne.

octavius, Shea19, singig and 7 others like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I've got another Amalthea/Jovi Crescenti type:

Valerian II, AR antoninianus, 23 mm 4.2 grams

Struck: 257-258, Cologne.

Obverse: VALERIANVS CAES, radiate, draped bust right

Reverse: IOVI CRESCENTI, the child Jupiter sitting right on the goat Amalthea, looking left, right hand raised, left hand holding the goat's horn.

Reference: RIC 3 (Lyons); Cohen 26 (Saloninus); Elmer 67a; Goebl 0907e; Sear 10731.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If you study the 3rd century emperors in very much detail, you learn that an emperor who made his son a caesar or co-emperor was probably signing his child’s death warrant, regardless of his age. In those days, ruling for five years was a long stretch.

octavius and ominus1 like this.
  10. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice coins all!

Valerian II is one of those figures I couldn't just have one of.

Eastern mint, VICTORIA PART, or "Go get 'em, Grandpa!"
    Valerian II Victoria Part.jpg

IOVI CRESCENTI, a much younger portrait (Rome mint?)
    Valerian II IOVI CRESCENTI Jupiter on goat.jpg

(Somewhere I have a nice shiny example with the Cologne portrait where he looks like he's about 3 years old - but apparently I didn't image it)

RIP little dude
    Divus valerian ii eagle.jpg

(Anyone else find it really strange that Saloninus never got pothumous coinage?)

11. ominus1

..i don't believe the royals(emperials) were being pestered with life insurance salespeople...:D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  12. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

I can't compete with your wonder-coins, but I can at least add a few of this family beyond Valerian1. I collect only bronze/copper, so here are Gallienus (5), Salonina (2), Valerian2 (2), and Saloninus (1). The last is ESPECIALLY tough in a Sestertius.
    34B---Gallienus      15'1.jpg 34B---Gallienus      21'9.jpg 34B---Gallienus      15'1.jpg 34B---Gallienus      21'9.jpg

Attached Files:

13. ominus1

singig likes this.
  14. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Valerian II, Antoninianus, RIC 50 Antioch
    P LIC COR VALERIANVS CAES, radiate, draped bust right /
    PRINCIPI IVBENTVTIS, Prince standing left, holding baton and spear.
    va1.jpg

Bing and octavius like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted