Odds and Ends

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Mar 30, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm going to wrap up the first quarter of 2015 with a handful of coins lumped together in one thread. I collected three Falling Horseman recently, starting with a nicely-chiseled AE2 of Heraclea and a barbarous issue with great style...

2FH1000.jpg
    I thought I was finished with FH's for a while, but this third one came along for $11, so what's a collector of cheap LRB's to do? It's not often you find these with such sharp features on the reverse...

fhHE.jpg
    I found it interesting to compare the styles between the engravers, particularly on the reverses.

3reverses1000.jpg

But really, I'm done with Falling Horsemen for now (unless another really nice one comes along for $11 of course). :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Those are three impressive coins JA. Hard to say which I like best, but that spear aimed at the throat (barb) is quite interesting.

Severatus and John Anthony like this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice coins JA.

John Anthony likes this.
  5. John Anthony

I upgraded my Two-Victories type of Constans earlier this month (coin 1), and didn't think I'd be getting another one anytime soon. But coin 2 came along with a very strong strike and a palm frond between the Victories (one of the Siscia mint varieties).

2TwoVics1000.jpg
    Charming little things.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gawd!! => what have you done with JA?!!!

Those aren't Nabobatenews!!!

7. John Anthony

I've got one coming up. :)

Here's a mighty coin, carved out by a master's hand, arrived this morning...

con2cap.jpg

Gil-galad, Eng, Aidan_() and 6 others like this.
  8. Bing

JA = you're killing me with all these nice coins. STOP IT!!!!!!

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

some sweet LRB..i think the barb fallen horseman is my fav.

I have several decent LRB two victories I've never even taken pics of, I think i'll pull them out this weekend and give them a go. that constans with the palm leaf between is a very nice one.

John Anthony likes this.
  10. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

nice coins JA, blood is flowing freely

all the best,

eric

John Anthony likes this.
  11. John Anthony

OK well, here's a coin that's not so nice, but not bad for a Gallic ant. Tetricus I, Hilaritas reverse. This coin comes from the Braithwell Hoard.

tetricus.jpg

You can read an interesting comparative analysis of the Braithwell and Antioch hoards on Numiswiki here.

stevex6, Gil-galad, Eng and 2 others like this.
  12. Bing

That's not a bad looking Tetricus I JA. These coins are generally in poor condition and not well struck. Even though it's off center, the devices all look clear. You're still killing me here.

13. John Anthony

If you're patient you can find better specimens, but I wanted the hoard provenance. A certain New York dealer acquired a handful of coins from the Braithwell hoard, but for the past two years they were overpriced, in my opinion. I guess he got tired of them collecting dust and cut the prices in half. I like a hoard provenance, but not so much to pay a huge premium.

OK, this should revive you. A brokage of Rabbel II. What's worse than a Nabataean? A Nabataean mistake of course. :)

brockage500.jpg

Bing, Gil-galad, Eng and 3 others like this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Your coin has a companion! Here's my Tetricus I from the Braithwell Hoard.

tetricus i 400.jpg

"Hi there, I'm Braithwell #186 (25 examples), what's your number?"

stevex6, Bing, Gil-galad and 2 others like this.
  15. John Anthony

180 (67 examples). Nice to see you again bro.

zumbly likes this.
  16. John Anthony

I like Steve's idea of a quarterly report, and since this is the last day of the month, I'm officially submitting my report to the CT auditors. 23 coins purchased since Jan 1 - that does not include one gift coin and two dogs that came in a lot of three that I bid on for the "nice" coin. I also acquired Kindler's Coinage of Bostra (ex-libris Bruce Brace), and of course the English translation of Bruck.

quarterly report small.jpg

Now I'm going to quit coin collecting for a while and catch up on my reading.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    TIF, stevex6, Bing and 4 others like this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a handsome group of coins!

John Anthony likes this.
  18. John Anthony

BTW, did anyone notice the engraver's mistake on this coin? See if you can spot it. :)

fhHE.jpg

stevex6, Gil-galad and Eng like this.
  19. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

You've been busy this month Big John, there's not one i wouldn't love to have. i really like the coins that have province, like Your Tetricus l. i have the Tetricus 1 and 2.

Tetricus l 271-274 AD.
    Not round x 2.27g.
    Ex. Beachy head hoard 1961
    Croc 007_opt.jpg

Croc 008_opt.jpg

Tetricus ll 273-274..AD.
    Ae..3.47g.
    Ex. Cottonham hoard 1986
    Croc 009_opt.jpg
    Croc 010_opt.jpg

TIF, zumbly, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  20. Bing

No, what is it?

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Draft saved Draft deleted