Odd Variety A. B. Van Cott Token - Ra Cim

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mlgdave, May 1, 2013.

1. mlgdave

mlgdave Member

The Ra Cim is unlike the usual Racine Wisconsin that I see on Ebay etc, I havent seen this one anywhere, who can point me to some info, or elaborate on this one?

MLgdave
    DSCN6728.jpg DSCN6729.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

This appears to be brass, so the id number would be Miller "Wis 13" ("Wis 14" if copper). RACIM is an error, and was supposed to have been RACINE. Rulau notes that these error varieties seem to be much more plentiful than the correct versions, but that has not been my personal experience. The error tokens also seem to be found with more wear in general, indicating long use, and possibly earlier release than the correct ones. All 5 of the earlier varieties are valued the same, with only the later one with the reverse motto "Most Extensive In The United States" variety being worth a bit more. Rulau values this token at $15 in VF, then jumps to $40 in Unc. Albert B. Van Cott was listed in the Racine, Wis census of 1850, and it is presumed that this token was issued during the 1850's.

4. mlgdave

mlgdave Member

THANKS! I have 23 tokens I bought in 1 batch, all seem in pretty great shape!

mlgdave

Draft saved Draft deleted