Odd toning?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Youngcoin, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hello everybody I recently found this dime in the wild and was wondering if it was a really odd toning or a possible missing clad layer? Here it is.

20171026_183904.jpg 20171026_183926.jpg 20171026_183957.jpg 20171026_184007.jpg 20171026_184026.jpg

Honestly it looks much different in person.

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell what the toning is for sure. But it looks more like that to me than it is missing a clad layer..

Youngcoin likes this.
  4. Youngcoin

Thanks furryfrog here some more comparison photos because those are not too great.

20171026_222500.jpg 20171026_222509.jpg 20171026_222512.jpg 20171026_222537.jpg 20171026_222544.jpg 20171026_222559.jpg

Thanks,
    Jacob

5. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Looks like toning to me.

6. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

It's some pretty nice toning. The dime still has it's clad layer though. Nice find.

Youngcoin likes this.
  7. Youngcoin

Thanks guys do you think At or NT I would thing the later because I found it in the wild.

Thanks,
    Jacob

8. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

I like finding coins like that from change. I save them also.
    Don't forget to fix the staples in that 2x2 before a nasty scratch is on one of your other coins. Remove and replace the ones that did not go through the 2x2 and then flatten them with a good pair of pliers.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Environmental Damage Toning
    Some chemical probably spilled on it. Could also be heat damage. Residual butane lighter fluid flame toning.
    If it's in the "wild" as you stated.. anything could of caused that look. But I agree that it is not Missing Clad Layer at all.

Oldhoopster and SmokinJoe like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, it looks like heat-induced toning to me. Except for the darkish patch behind FDR's head, it's not unattractive, though it's not really worth anything.

I agree that you should crimp those staples flat. Get a pair of pliers and do that, if not for the sake of this coin (it's a 10-cent item), but any others that might come in contact with that holder and those staples.

I use a flat-clinch stapler, but if you don't have one, always make sure you use pliers to crimp the staples in your holders completely flat, or you may regret it one day. Staple scratches are really tragic.

Oldhoopster and paddyman98 like this.
  11. Youngcoin

Alright thanks everybody I'll fix those staples!

Thanks,
    Jacob

12. Charles REid

Charles REid Active Member

If from the wild, was there more loose soil, composted material? If so sun and slow methane from decomposition will tone the coin

13. Jeremy J

Jeremy J Member

I found one like that in a creek. Natural toning.

14. rrholdout

rrholdout Active Member

Looks like it spent some quality time on a light bulb. But who knows . . . it could be a pan-fryer.

Draft saved Draft deleted