Odd toning on Morgan dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shru, May 26, 2022.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have seen this look on silver that was dipped improperly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Acetone does not remove authentic oxidation. Every time one of the knowledgeable members here recommends it after seeing coins in this condition only continues to spread the "acetone myth." Thankfully, an acetone soak should not hurt the coins.

Dynoking and green18 like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

True, but it don't hurt to try, seeing that you won't be doing any further damage.

5. coinsleuth

coinsleuth New Member

I have seen heavy dark toning once before when silver came in contact with concentrated hydrogen sulfide for an extended period of time. In the case I recall, the dark toning did diminish to a softer shadow type color with the use of acetone. I believe the only solvent that will remove the tarnish without altering the coin is benzene, but obtaining benzene would be difficult, and benzene must be handled with extreme care.

6. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Probably stored in a leather pouch/purse in a humid environment for several decades

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Benzene won't touch silver sulfide any more than xylene or acetone. The only thing to do is reduce it chemically (or, of course, scrub it off physically, further ruining the coin).

I can't imagine anything on a coin for which benzene would be more effective than xylene. Please stick with xylene if you have to remove nonpolar organic stuff. (And I say this as someone who remembers being able to buy benzene in stores.)

Dynoking likes this.
  8. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I'm going to say they were stored in a bag or box and hidden in a basement that was damp. They look like someone's stash that was left in a location for a very long time. People have been known to hid money then die and someone finds them many years later. From the looks of the coins, they must have been in good shape when hidden away. Many look AU or better. You may as well try coin dip on them you don't have anything to loose.

jamor1960 likes this.
  9. -jeffB

But please experiment on the most common/worn/damaged examples from the group before moving on to the better ones.

ldhair and buckeye73 like this.
  10. this is what happens when silver is not stored in a very dry place and, or had dampness on them when tossed in a box or drawer. I know this because I got some at a yard sale. what i did was put on rubber gloves, got some tarn x in reduced 50% with water in a deep bowl. dip the coin in the bowl 1 or 2 seconds, rinse with clean water right then. redo if needed.

ksparrow likes this.
  11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I used BZ as a kid to clean greasy/oily bicycle/automotive parts. Lates '60's-mid '70's

12. -jeffB

Benzene was cheap and effective. A shame about the leukemia.

Draft saved Draft deleted